1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Running Red Sox thread

Discussion in 'MLB - Baseball Forum' started by vpkozel, Apr 25, 2005.

1. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

I agree Varitek is a stabilizing force for the staff, but when you have a collective ERA approaching 5.00, it really doesn't matter who's behind the plate. The offense can only carry a team so long. Not sure what the totals were, but the Sox made a few errors in that series so what has been a strength for the team hurt them in this series.

2. MikeNinerHunt

MikeNinerHunt Fast white guy

I was being sarcastic about the 2005 Seattle Seahawks being a "powerhouse" team. The Steelers played half ass and still beat them, while Seattle beat the Panthers senseless.

Papelbon took four months to look human. Hansen, Delcarmen, and Lester took two months to begin to look like rookies. Varitek, Nixon and Wakefield were nails in the coffin that nobody realized til it was too late.

3. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

It was 4.50 or so when he left. A month at 6.5 will raise that pretty quickly.

4. vpkozel

Papelbon took like 28 2 inning saves to look human. I'm beginning to get a little pissed at Tito, because I think he overused him. I'll go with you on Trot, but no way on Wake and Tek. No way they are used up.

5. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

4.50 ain't too good either. fact is they need better pitching, with or without Varitek. That $30 million over three years for Beckett doesn't look like such a steal anymore. The guy's ball had all sorts of movement the first month, now nothing but straight fast meatballs. (wonder if he's trying to protect his finger from blisters.)

I'm not writing the season off, but here's what the rotation looks like next year: schilling, beckett, lester, wakefield and clement (unless they can trade him, he's still on board for another year dammit). I'd like to see Papelbon in there but will Hansen really be ready to close? (Maybe they pick up someone to close for next year only).

Maybe an offseason pickup or two will be in order. potential free agent starters in 06-07 offseason: jason schmidt, mark buerhle, barry zito, adam eaton, tom glavine, greg maddux, jason marquis, gil meche, byung-hyun kim (kidding), mark mulder, tomo ohka, mark redman, andy petitte, brad radke.

wake and wells will be free agents after the season.

alex gonzalez is a free agent too. I imagine they let him walk if Pedroia shows anything the last six weeks.

6. kickazzz2000

kickazzz2000 CURRENTLY ON THE CAN

Good point. The 05 Panthers were a flawed team from the beginning, much like the 06 Red Sox. Injuries were the final nail in the coffin for both.

The word that was bolded was playoffs, not powerhouse. I was just pointing out that you were clowning PP about a team that actually made the playoffs (before getting pounded) last year, which this year's Red Sox (unfortunately) most likely wont.

Either way, this fucking sucks.

7. MikeNinerHunt

MikeNinerHunt Fast white guy

I meant when you lose three veterans like that to injuries. Clubhouse leaders, longest tenured guys. Just think six or seven Wakefield starts vs. six or seven Jason Johnson starts. That's at least 15 less bullpen innings, minimum.

I can't believe a guy in Double A wasn't called up to catch. I can stand losing games cause a guy in the lineup is hitting .140, but I can't stand losing games because of passed balls. Greg Maddux knew what he was talking about; Javy Lopez is a fucking joke.

8. vpkozel

Oh, gotcha. Yeah, I agree on all counts.

9. 40Whiners

40Whiners Full Access Member

Starters v Oakland on 8/28/06
    P Kason Gabbard
    C Javy Lopez
    1 Carlos Pena
    2 Dustin Pedroia
    3 Mike Lowell
    SS Alex Cora
    LF Kevin Youkilis
    CF Coco Crisp
    RF Eric Hinske
    DH Mark Loretta

Starters v Detroit on 8/28/05
    P David Wells
    C Jason Varitek
    1 Kevin Millar
    2 Tony Graffanino
    3 Bill Mueller
    SS Edgar Renteria
    LF Manny Ramirez
    CF Johnny Damon
    RF Gabe Kapler
    DH David Ortiz

Who are these guys? I know Sox fans are supposed to give Theo all kinds of praise for putting together the '04 team...but if he gets credit for that, he has to get blamed for this. He is handed the 2nd highest payroll in MLB and he fields this triple A caliber team? It's embarrassing.

I think he was right to hold onto the young pitchers at the trade deadline...but MOST of his moves since the beginning of '05 have been terrible.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  10. CunningRunt

CunningRunt Full Access Member

Ortiz left the team indefinately. He is having tests for an irregular heartbeat. This is a shock to me. Does anybody know of any previous problems he's had with this?