1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Running Red Sox thread

Discussion in 'MLB - Baseball Forum' started by vpkozel, Apr 25, 2005.

1. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

3.61. The odd thing is that he gave up so many homers while playing in Dodger stadium, which is supposed to be a pitcher's park.

2. Applejack

Applejack ALL WINTER TAN

The Dodger's pitcher's mound is pretty high from what I remember and Lowe is a sinker ball / ground ball pitcher.
    Probably got some of those sinkers up in the zone and flattened out on him at Chavez Ravine. It should be a matter of adjustment but ask Collin he's the expert.

3. Collin

Collin soap and water

Dude, I didn't make you lie about your supposed minor league experience. And as for the pitcher's mound, they do vary a bit but remember that there are specifications in the rule book as to the height and slope of the mound at each ballpark, so they aren't going to deviate from that too much. MLB checks all mounds prior to the season to confirm their specifications.

vpkozel:
    I agree that it's odd for Lowe to post a career high in home runs allowed in Chavez Ravine (16 of his 28 were at home), but it's been giving up a lot more home runs in recent years than in years past. It still plays as a moderate pitcher's park, but Jeff Weaver also gave up 16 at home last season and Jose Lima gave up 16 there in 2004. That said, Lowe's home runs rate this season has dropped back down to around his career levels.

4. Applejack

Applejack ALL WINTER TAN

You'd be surprised at the differences being that you've never experienced it.
    For instance from the base of the mound to the top of the mound may be within specifications but there may also be a slope of 3-5 inch difference from the base of the mound to home plate which does not show up on the internet.

5. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

how does Colon get to be an expert in both football and baseball

6. Applejack

Applejack ALL WINTER TAN

Some people are gifted like that.

7. Collin

Collin soap and water

Actually the rulebook has specifications for the slope to the plate in addition to the 1 inch per foot slope from the spot 6 inches in front of the rubber to the point 6 feet toward home plate. Sometimes teams may try to cheat, and I think MLB made the Cubs lower the mound at Wrigley by an inch recently, but they do check all those measurements regularly.

By the way, did you ever own up to that lie about being John Smoltz's set-up man? Do you want to try and explain that or just continue to pretend you never lied about it?

8. Applejack

Applejack ALL WINTER TAN

In instructional league there were (2) people that the Tigers were looking at to replace Willie Hernandez. John Smoltz was one but he was rather inexperienced at that point. Mike Henneman was the other.
    Also a left-hander by the name of Paul Gibson.

9. Collin

Collin soap and water

Dude, don't cover up lies with more lies. You know I'm enough of an asshole to track down the facts and bust you again. Willie Hernandez didn't leave the Tigers until after the '89 season, at which time Smoltz was already with the Braves. Moreover, I already covered his statistics from the FSL, in which he had no saves.

10. Applejack

Applejack ALL WINTER TAN

I know this dude, so tell me when was Mike Henneman's rookie year?
    FSL and instructional league are not one and the same.

You want more names from that team?

Milt Cuyler
    Chris Hoile
    Kenny Hill