1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Running Red Sox thread

Discussion in 'MLB - Baseball Forum' started by vpkozel, Apr 25, 2005.

1. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

Yep - one of the best lines ever. I believe he followed it up with, now take your f'ing base.

2. vpkozel

His relief appearance in game 3 is the kind of thing granddads will tell to their grandkids.

3. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

sad story

Yaz still hasn't gotten over his kid dying. to find out this happened has gotta be just tearing him up

4. vpkozel

:woohoo:

5. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

:deal:

6. vpkozel

This was in Gammon's article this week. Pretty interesting and seems to be a direct shot at his old colleague Ryan.

If a player is thrown into the public stocks by hypothetical or deductive guesswork, he is damaged, with little recourse. There is no better example than Nomar Garciaparra. His famous Sports Illustrated cover was quickly thrown up as 'roid proof when he got hurt in spring training 2001. Now, any Gold's Gym bodybuilder and trainer will take that picture and point to the fact that he's developed in but two places and actually has love handles, a surefire sign that he is not a juicer. "That," says Mark Verstegen of Athletes Performance Institute and Garciaparra's trainer going back to Georgia Tech, "was the worst shape he was ever in."

Verstegen bristles at the Garciaparra question because he knows Nomar better than anyone. For a decade, Nomar has been going to API in Bradenton, Fla.; Tempe, Ariz.; and, at the Home Depot Center this winter, in Carson, Calif. And, like anyone and everyone who trains at API, he has to sign an ethics statement and adhere to Verstegen's program to provide an ethical alternative to cheating, a program that has been adopted by the National Football League.

"Nomar had physical issues dating back to high school," says Verstegen. "He nearly had surgery for hamstring problems in the minor leagues. Then in the last week of the 1999 season, he got hit by a pitch in Baltimore and essentially ruined his wrist there; he should have had surgery that winter, but he tried to play through it, made it through the 2000 season until it finally gave out. The Achilles and groin injuries are freaks, and not related."

Verstegen -- who says a person can gain 1½ to 2 pounds of muscle mass a week in his program of core strength exercise, weights and strict nutrition (Nomar is a vanilla shake guy) -- insists "that Nomar never had any dramatic weight gains in an offseason. He went from 163 to 167 to 174 to 182 to 195 (pounds), and is now back at 185. But he has to deal with idle speculation? It is completely unfair and irresponsible." Sitting there, hurt, Garciaparra has no way to answer.

7. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

awesome

Millar just hit the walk-off in the bottom of the ninth. Arroyo's streak lives on!

8. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

damn. another walkoff. Varitek this time, after Foulke blew a three-run lead in the ninth.

Foulke.

9. vpkozel

Shit - I forgot today was a day game. How fast were Foulke's fastballs?

10. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

dunno. I was following it on the espn gamecast. I do know he gave up four runs after getting two outs in the ninth. a double and a go-ahead 2R homer were among the hits against him. I'm guessing those fastballs were meatballs. Fucker's been leaving his changeup up in the strike zone a lot more than I remember. You do that, and a batter's looking for the change (why wouldn't he?) and you're asking for trouble.

six-of-seven from the Ms and As. Not bad. if the Os lose today (they were down 4-3 last I checked), the sox will be only a half-game out. :satana:

(Yankees won their fifth straight. :lalala: )