1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Running Red Sox thread

Discussion in 'MLB - Baseball Forum' started by vpkozel, Apr 25, 2005.

1. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

maybe. I'm just going by Francona's postgame press conference when he was asked about it. He was really hesitant, almost stammering at one point trying to say the right thing.

Papelbon threw 11 pitches in the ninth and almost all of them were 95 MPH-plus. Foulke has had several months to get right and if all he can muster on his fastball is 88 or 89, that changeup ain't worth squat and I wouldn't trust him to close out any close games.

2. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

According to the gun on the Rangers feed (which is the one I had on the baseball package) all of his fastballs, except the last one, were EXACTLY 95. That's my problem. He needs to change speeds a little bit to throw off their timing.

Foulke made his living at 88 - 89. It's when he starts to dip down to 85 - 86 where the problems come in, because the changeup is 79 - 81 and guys can sit on it and still foul the fastballs off.

3. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

I hope he Foulke does get his form back, but I'm not real optimistic. It's a good possibility he's on the downside of his career. Hitters are gonna find it easier to catch on to a good changeup when the fastball, like Foulke's is under 90, than they will with a guy like Pedro or Gagne.

as for Papelbon's heater, I don't worry too much about it. Lots of successful closers have come in armed with a great fastball and just challenged guys to hit it.

4. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

Beckett looked sharp. That was funny when he was being ignored by the ump though.

5. Collin

Collin soap and water

[​IMG]
    I'm pretty surprised at the move because I just can't imagine who Francona will turn to when one of the starters inevitably goes down.

6. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

glad to see arroyo do well in his first start: 6 IP, 3ER, 7K, no BB and the win.

7. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

maybe at that point Papelbon goes back into the rotation and Foulke, if he's able, closes. there's always Timlin.

8. Collin

Collin soap and water

Maybe, but it's extraordinarily difficult to go from pitching one inning to pitching 6+. Even Schilling didn't have any success in trying to make that transition.

9. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

Papelbon did well in a starter's role last year, and Schilling was playing hurt all year. He was average at best in both roles last season. I sure hope that Papelbon's only the short-term closer and can get back to long relief in preparation for a permanent spot in the rotation. In the meantime, if he gives them the best chance to win by closing, that's where he'll be.

10. Applejack

Applejack ALL WINTER TAN

Smoltz excelled in both scenarios. But it goes back to what you said, it's extremely difficult but Smoltz is an extraordinary athlete.