1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Running Red Sox thread

Discussion in 'MLB - Baseball Forum' started by vpkozel, Apr 25, 2005.

1. 49erpi

49erpi Full Access Member

Arroyo is certainly trade bait because of the discount they re-signed him for but if he is still on the roster, he may end up in the bullpen. Wells is making too much at his age to get equal value for so it is unlikely that he will be dealt.

They are not ready to give up on Clement. They feel like his bad second half was due to flawed mechanics after taking the comebacker off the head. He started falling towards the first base line in his delivery as a defensive move after the incident and they feel he will be back to his first half, all-star form in spring training.

There is no way they are going into a season with only 5 starters available for rotation. They are in great shape right now with starting pitching, however Beckett is always brittle, Schilling is a question mark and Wells is always good for a stint or 2 on the DL. No team straps themselves with only five potential starters.

What I am saying is that there is a good chance that Arroyo will be the odd man out is everything stays the same which would mean middle relief at times to get him some work. He will still get starts if it were to occur, that is for sure. There is no way this rotation can stay healthy.

Also, look for another move to bring in another starter in the near future.

2. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

If they do, I hope they fucking find one that can play SS or CF too.

3. Collin

Collin soap and water

There has also been talk of Papelbon starting out in the bullpen (or perhaps not breaking camp with the team at all).

4. vpkozel

I'm guessing that is the route that they go. He's got a chance to be something special. I think he'll start out in the pen.

On a different note, the guy who came to turn on our new furnace noticed my cap and said that his nephew played for the Sox. It's Craig Hansen. He said that everyone in the minors hated Hanley and was glad to see him gone. And he said that since he's from Long Island that his whole family is Yankee fans. But he like Boston and his teamates.

5. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

what the fuck are you talking about? He's guaranteed $2.5 million this coming season, a lot less than Arroyo.

6. 49erpi

49erpi Full Access Member

The guaranteed salary isn't the problem einstein. His deal is full of easily obtainable incentives. Comparing his and Bronson's deal is apples and oranges.

7. Hyme Lipshitz

Hyme Lipshitz aka Billy Badass

getting a big fat middle aged man to pitch a decent amount of innings in the major leagues isn't "easily obtainable" and that is one of the biggys,

just sayin

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  8. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

according to espn he made just over $4 mill total last year, same as Arroyo will make under the terms of his contract. Four million for a middle of the rotation starter is a bargain not cost prohibitive as you've asserted.

9. vpkozel

Mota failed his physical. If they give up Marte AND Declarman I'm gonna be pissed. I love the Clement for Crisp deal - although, I expect Clement to bounce back to his pre-head smack form.

10. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

who knows how Delcarmen's career will play out, what with him having Tommy John surgery a couple years ago. I agree that he and Marte are too much for Crisp. If they throw in Riskie, maybe.

I sure hope they can somehow get this deal done. If Crisp can perform at least as well as last year (of course, one would hope he'll get better), he'd be a capable replacement for Damon (similar offensive stats, arguably better defensively). and he comes on the cheap. Of course, if it goes down, Marte will wind up having a Bagwell-like career.

Clement? I dunno. He's gonna have to bounce back big to justify what they're paying him. Not that money really matters.