1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Running Red Sox thread

Discussion in 'MLB - Baseball Forum' started by vpkozel, Apr 25, 2005.

1. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

You can be like Kiper and take some many positions that you are eventually gonna be right though - which is what a lot of people do.

For the record, Manny was making plenty of contact and other than average, his stats really weren't that different from his "average" year. And while there is some downward trending in his offensive stats, I still think that the downward trending Manny is better than just about any alternative available. Plus, there is always the possibility that he snaps out of his funk and becomes the unstoppable Manny again.

The bottom line is this. The Sox were not going to get full value for Manny in a trade. So is it better to get that or let him play out the remainder of his contract? I go with the latter. Now if somebody comes around with a great offer, then sure - see ya Manny.

2. Collin

Collin soap and water

Very true that a declining Manny is still well above average, but people who track such things have recorded that he's actually swinging and missing more often than he did previously. That type of statistic generally isn't something you run across, but if you know where to find it, it's a pretty good indicator as to how a player's other stats will trend.

3. vpkozel

I actually tried to find some of those stats (admitedly I didn't kill myself looking too hard) so if you could post them, I'd a ppreciate it. I was just basing it on purely annecdotal evidence of watch pretty much every Sox game over the past 3 years.

4. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

sure it does. You imply those two were the only ones who contributed significantly to the sox offense. check the stats and you'll see that isn't the case.

5. Collin

Collin soap and water

Dude, you should have pretended that you knew what you were talking about. Ramirez and Ortiz were both in the top 10 in MLB for percentage of their team's offense. The departed Johnny Damon was the only other member of the Red Sox in the top 100.

6. MikeNinerHunt

MikeNinerHunt Fast white guy

Tavarez, Snow, good cheap pickups.

Bye bye Millar. He was great at kissing the fans asses, but I won't miss him. At least the Orioles shouldn't embarass him by putting him in the outfield.

7. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

I don't need to pretend I know anything. You implied the Sox have nothing offensively, save for Ramirez and Ortiz. I realize they were both in the top this or that , blah, blah, blah.

varitek his .281 with a.366 on base percentage, hit 22 homers and droveand scored 70. Nixon, missing significant time still hit 13 drove in 67 and scored 64 (he's good for 20+/90 when healthy). Youkilis as a regular, despite a lack of power, will put up better numbers than Millar and Lowell will produce at least as much as Mueller (OBP aside).

so your assertion the sox have nothing without Manny and Ortiz is kinda flimsy. but that usually happens to stat geeks. sorry

8. vpkozel

That's really not a good indicator in this case though. Millar and Olerud split time at 1B, with some Youk and Papi thrown in too. Bellhorn was downright pathetic until he was replaced by Graffinino in July. Renteria was pretty bad at SS, but I'd still have to think he was in the top half of his peers. Not sure about that though. Mueller was hurt a bunch. So was Trot.

So, basically you had only 5 guys that played a "whole" season, and 3 of them were in the top 100. The other was a catcher, and not many catchers are expected to carry the offensive load.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  9. vpkozel

Holy shit - Mueller was only out for 12 games. I could have sworn he missed more tim than that. So, they had 6 guys who played a "whole season" 3 of whom were in the top 100.

10. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

collin sez it's bad that ortiz and manny represent such a high percentage of the offense. well, it was good enough to get the wild card.

(we'll forget for a minute that pitchers and catchers haven't reported yet and that his bluster, like that of most stat geeks', is based on speculation/projection/blah-fucking-blah)