1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Running Red Sox thread

Discussion in 'MLB - Baseball Forum' started by vpkozel, Apr 25, 2005.

1. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

Fuck paying any of his salary. If they're gonna trade him in the division, don't make it easy on the other guys, for fuck's sake. This should be a straight-up deal -- Ramirez for Tejada -- or no deal at all, IMHMFO. To throw in Clement implies somehow that Tejada has more value than Ramirez as a ballplayer, and that's complete bullshit. If they're gonna give Clement away, I'd rather they at least get a new centerfielder or pen help in return. If the season started today, you know who'd be in center? Adam Fucking Stern, that's who.

Cool deal about the farm team. I'm gonna be spending some time in CT and RI this summer and plan to see a couple PawSox games. It's been a while.

2. Collin

Collin soap and water

The Red Sox offered Manny, Clement, and cash for Tejada but the Orioles rightfully turned it down. Tejada is younger and a more valuable baseball player (when you add in fielding, etc) at a tougher position than Manny, plus their contracts aren't even close to equal. Then Clement is overpaid and his numbers are all going in the wrong direction. He'll turn 32 this season, and his strikeout rate dropped significantly last season while his batting average allowed also went up dramatically. He posted his highest ERA and highest WHIP since 2001, and I don't see him turning things around.

If you think that offer was too much, that's fine, but as an Orioles fan I wouldn't want them to even consider that deal either.

3. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

I could have lived with that deal, as I am pretty sure that the O's were going to throw in a pitcher. Don't know who though.

On the whole Clement thing though - don't underestimate the impact of him getting hit in the head. And then getting (or about getting hit) in just about every single game after that. It was fucking surreal. I have never seen anything like it.

By the end of the season he was cringing on just about any contact he was pitching so scared. If he gets past that (and that's a definite if) I think you'll see the first half Clement instead of the second half one. Especially since he's not going to have to try to be the ace this year.

4. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

I agree that Clement is a bust, considering his salary. But Tejada is a more valuable baseball player than Manny? keep telling yourself that, you may end up actually believing it.

5. vpkozel

A happy Tejada at 12 million per is much more valuable than an unhappy (or even happy) Manny at 19 million per.

6. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

he's now a third or fourth pitcher in the Sox rotation. a lot less pressure probably = better production. Problem is, that's a hefty price to pay for a 3 or 4. I could see Wakefield and Arroyo pitching as well or nearly as well for a lot less.

7. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

salaries aside, I'm saying Ramirez is a more valuable player than Tejada. he's a far better hitter and run producer. And Tejada did have 22 errors and a fielding percentage close to 970. To me, the higher production you get from Ramirez evens out the differences in salary.

Given Manny's behavior and his constant whining over not wanting to be in Boston, I'd love to see a swap for Tejada. Just don't think they need to give up a shitload more and then make shit easier for Angelos by subsidizing Manny's contract.

8. Collin

Collin soap and water

Manny is a more powerful hitter, but Tejada did have 150 RBI without the likes of Johnny Damon & co. getting on in front of him in 2004. And while Tejada is no gold glover, he's a solid fielder at a tough position while Manny is a complete liability at the easiest position. Moreover, personally I don't like what I've seen of Manny at the plate in the last year, as his swing seems longer, he seems less focused, and he's making less consistent contact. He will turn 34 this season, and given his sketchy conditioning, that could mean that he begins to go downhill as early as this year. That's why I think the Red Sox would be smart to trade him while his value is at its highest, and why as an Orioles fan that I want no part of him.

9. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

that's nice. your Orioles will continue sucking then. Manny's long swing produced 45 homers and 144 RBIs. shitty, I know, but still better than the 26 and 98 Tejada managed. Sure Manny had a better guys in front of him, but does that account for an RBI edge of nearly 50 and HR edge of almost 20? I dunno, maybe Tejada was juiced up when he put those crazy numbers up. It would explain the precipitous dropoff in his production last year.

10. vpkozel

OK, it's official. Manny is clearly insane.

------------------------------
    Slugger Manny Ramirez has changed his tune once again, saying now that he wants to remain with the Red Sox

By ENRIQUE ROJAS
    MIAMI (ESPNdeportes.com)-- Manny Ramirez doesn't think he'll be traded to the Baltimore Orioles, or any other team for that matter. Now he's getting used to the idea of being in a Boston Red Sox uniform for a long time to come.

"There will be no trade, I'm staying in Boston, where I'm familiar with the system and where I have a lot of friends, especially David Ortiz," Ramirez told ESPNdeportes.com while in Miami on personal business.

Ortiz was happy to hear that.

"Manny staying in Boston, that's the best gift I could get," said Ortiz Thursday night from the Dominican Republic, where he is playing winter baseball.

"Manny is one of the team's biggest assets, so this decision is good for him, for me and for the Red Sox," added Ortiz.

Ramirez, one of the most feared hitters in the majors, had once again demanded a trade from the Red Sox, and even threatened to hold out during spring training if Boston did not grant his wish. The outfielder's contract, through which he is still owed $57 millon over the next three seasons, in addition to the unpredictability of his expressed wishes, have hampered Boston's efforts to trade him.

Over the last two weeks, the Red Sox held multiple conversations with Baltimore about a trade for Miguel Tejada, who also asked to be dealt from the Orioles, but the talks stalled when Ramirez reportedly said that he would approve the trade only if the team he was dealt to would exercise two $20 millon options on his contract.

The New York Mets also attempted to acquire the slugger during this offseason.

"I'm going to take things easy and focus on my career," said Ramirez.

The MVP of the 2004 World Series thinks Boston may still try to trade him, but Ramirez has the right to veto any deal and wants to stay in the American League. "I know the American League system. That's one reason I don't want to go to the National League," he said. "I also want to play for a contender, and I think with Boston I'm assured of that."

Ramirez, 33, hit .292 with 45 home runs and 140 RBI in 2005, his fifth season with the Red Sox. Boston signed the slugger to a eight-year, $160 million contract in December of 2000.

In his 13-year career, the first eight with the Cleveland Indians, the nine time All-Star has a .314 average, with 435 home runs and 1,414 RBI. He was the American League batting champion in 2002 (.349) and led the junior circuit that year in home runs (43). He led the majors with 165 RBI in 1999.

Ramirez also reiterated his intention of playing for his native Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic, and gave a vote of support to Alex Rodriguez, who reportedly will play for the United States in the international event.

"Alex is American. We have to understand that and respect him and his decision."

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/story?id=396286#