1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Running Red Sox thread

Discussion in 'MLB - Baseball Forum' started by vpkozel, Apr 25, 2005.

1. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

It just did.

The Braves and Red Sox have agreed on a deal that would ship shortstop Edgar Renteria to Atlanta in exchange for Braves third-base prospect Andy Marte, ESPN's Peter Gammons has learned. An official announcement is expected in an hour.

2. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

what about the rest of the deal? they can't keep Marte

3. vpkozel

No word yet. Youkolis is gonna start getting pissed that they keep bringing in 3rd basemen.

DALLAS -- The Boston Red Sox gave up on Edgar Renteria just one year after lavishing a four-year, $40 million contract on him, trading the shortstop to the Atlanta Braves on Thursday for third base prospect Andy Marte.

The move left Boston without a shortstop amid speculation that it will trade Marte to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for Julio Lugo. The Braves needed a shortstop after Rafael Furcal signed a three-year, $39 million free agent contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Renteria made the last out for the St. Louis Cardinals in the 2004 World Series, when Boston won it all for the first time since 1918. Then, the Red Sox made him the centerpiece of their effort to repeat.

But he led the majors with 30 errors in '05, struggling at the plate in April and finishing with a .276 average, eight homers and 70 RBI. The Red Sox had been hoping for something more like the .330 average, 13 homers and 100 RBI he had when he won his second consecutive Gold Glove in 2003.

Marte, 22, batted .275 with 20 homers and 74 RBI in 109 games in Triple-A last season, and .140 with no homers and four RBI in 24 games with the Braves.

He is rated as the top prospect in the Braves organization by Baseball America.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

4. vpkozel

Now Miggy says he didn't ask for a trade and wants to stay. Hopefully this is like a manager getting a vote of confidence right before he gets canned.

Report: Tejada denies wanting trade

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

Miguel Tejada doesn't want a trade after all.

Three days after telling The Associated Press that he wanted "a change of scenery," the Baltimore Orioles' All-Star shortstop backed off those comments during a phone interview Sunday with Comcast SportsNet.

"I never said I wanted to be traded," Tejada told SportsNet. "I said I want to see a better team. I don't want to keep losing like we have the past two years."

Tejada signed a $72 million, six-year contract with the Orioles before the 2004 season. He hit .304 with 26 home runs and 98 RBI this year, but Baltimore finished 21 games behind the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox in the AL East. In his first season as an Oriole, Tejada set career highs in batting average (.311) and RBI (150) and tied his career high in homers (34).

"I've been with the Orioles for two years and things haven't gone in the direction that we were expecting, so I think the best thing will be a change of scenery," Tejada told the AP during a telephone interview in his native Dominican Republic on Thursday.

"I've done many things with this team and I haven't seen results, and the other teams are getting stronger while the Orioles have not made any signings to strengthen the club," Tejada told AP.

But Tejada, the 2002 AL MVP while with Oakland, said Sunday that he's just frustrated with the team's struggles, especially with pitching.

"Look at the division we're in," he told SportsNet. "It's not easy to win without pitching. I'm not saying I don't like the team or the city. If they trade me, I don't want people to think I just want to go to a winning team. I just want the organization to do something, go get pitching. If they don't, they're telling me they don't want to win.

"I don't want to take anything away from the pitchers we have. But we need more. We need an ace. I think they've got to make some moves. That's why I'm upset. I hope the fans won't be mad at me. But I think me speaking up might actually help the team get better," he said.

The Orioles hired Leo Mazzone, the esteemed pitching coach who had six Cy Young Award winners and nine 20-game winners during a 15½-year run with the Braves, in October. However, they haven't gone after veteran pitching to balance a young rotation. Last season's rotation featured five pitchers under the age of 30 -- Erik Bedard, who finished the season 6-8; Daniel Cabrera (10-13); Bruce Chen (13-10); Rodrigo Lopez (15-12); and Sidney Ponson, who was released in September after posting a 7-11 record.

SportsNet reported that Orioles officials spoke to Tejada on Friday night after speaking with the shortstop's representatives, Diego Bentz and Fernando Cuza.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

5. vpkozel

Oh shit.

ESPN.com news services

Can you go home again to your first major-league employer? The Boston Red Sox will certainly leave a plate at the table if Roger Clemens decides he wants to finish his career where it began.

The Red Sox, where Clemens pitched his first 13 seasons, have contacted the future Hall of Famer's agents, the Hendricks brothers, to express their interest in having Clemens pitch for the team in 2006, The Boston Globe reported.

When told of Boston's interest, Clemens, who was not offered arbitration by the Houston Astros, was said to have reacted positively, according to the paper.

"We had an internal discussion," Sox CEO and president Larry Lucchino told the paper, "and concluded we should make an initial call to let the Hendricks brothers know we were open to discuss Roger's return if he should have interest in the Red Sox in 2006.

"Nothing further."

Clemens, if he chooses, can re-sign with Houston after May 1. He came out of retirement two years ago and helped his hometown Astros reach their first World Series.

Clemens also has pitched for the Blue Jays and the Yankees. Last week a Yankees official told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney that the club will definitely take a look at Clemens.

"It's a natural conversation," the official told Olney.

And that conversation has begun, the New York Daily News reported Monday.

"We have talked about things in general with the Yankees," Randy Hendricks, one of Clemens' agents, wrote in an e-mail to the Daily News. "We have told the teams that have called to talk to us in January because there is no rush, due to Roger's timetable."

6. vpkozel

We got new GM's. This will end badly.

7. solarte1969

solarte1969 ....

You could always rehire Dan Du...

8. vpkozel

I can only deal with the possible return of one anti christ at a time

9. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

The O's now want the Sox to throw in Matt Clement and Andy Marte with Ramirez for Tejada.

LO-fucking-L. Hopefully the retards who are acting as GMs will tell them to pound salt.

here's hoping Ramirez stays. Trade Wells for Dave Roberts and concentrate on finding a shortstop.

10. vpkozel

I had heard Clement and Ramirez for Tejada, but the Sox wanted a pitcher back too and were going to pay some of Ramirez's salary. I could see doing that deal. But apparently Marte is the real deal.

On a different note the Sox new low A club is going to be in Greenville, SC. Toured the new stadium under construction over Christmas while visiting family. It's pretty sweet. They are building a replica monster and it's going to be surrounded by condos and shops.