1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Running Red Sox thread

Discussion in 'MLB - Baseball Forum' started by vpkozel, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Piper

Piper phishin member

I thought that was just for clinching a playoff berth.

Now that Cleveland is shut out, I guess who is 1 and 2 doesn't matter so much? Does it default back to the regular season series.

PS.

Being Division champions doesn't buy you that much. See Braves, Atlanta. It's becoming a similar theme for the yanks.

2. Xcaliber

Xcaliber Just Another Guy

Yeah and winning the regular season is waaaay more important than actually winning a World Series :thud:

3. Xcaliber

Xcaliber Just Another Guy

Red Sox and Yankees have played 71 times in the past 3 years . Yankees have won 35, Red Sox have won 36. That's a crazy stat.

4. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

sox pound yanks, send them to Anaheim for games 1 and 2. tough break for the Bombers: now the sox will get the Angels in the ALCS.

5. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

Here is the way I see things.

What went wrong with Schilling & Foulke (an maybe Embree too) was a direct result of last year. And I'll take that every damn day.

And Clement became a ball magnet. I counted 4 times that he got hit - including the bad one on the head. By August he was pitching scared.

And to finish second with all the problems we had through the season with pitching a'int so bad. That said, I think the Angels win the pennant.

But, with the young guys we have in relief now (why didn't they pitch Hansen just one or 2 innings? :banginghe ), I wouldn't bet against us.

Bascially, I have no idea what to expect this postseason, and basically I'm still playing with house moiney.

6. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

can anyone explain why they had a coin flip to determine the site of a one-game playoff between the Yanks and Sox (they did a flip two or three weeks ago and the Yankees won)? the teams finished tied but the Yanks get the division title because of a 10-9 season series victory. Now, MLB knew that one of the teams would win the season series because they play an odd number of games. So why the coin toss?

7. vpkozel

Because Cleveland was eliminated from the WC chase. If they hadn't been then it would have been too important to leave to the reg season records, but since both the sox & yanks were going to at least going to be guaranteed a shot at a WC playoff, then it didn't matter.

8. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

yeah, but Cleveland wasn't eliminated from the wild card until Sunday. the Yankees were declared division champs Saturday.

so are you suggesting that if Cleveland, Boston and NY finished with identical records, the Yankees and Sox would've played off to determine the division winner, with the loser playing off against Cleveland for the wild card? I'm not saying that's not the case, but it makes no sense: why wouldn't they just determine the Yankees the ALEast winner based on head to head with the Sox and go right to a Sox-Tribe WC playoff.

there were more than a couple sportswriters who thought an overall tie, regardless of season series, would require a playoff to determine the division title.

9. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

5-0 palehose after one. clement whips ass.

10. vpkozel

too close to that anti christ thing i guess

anyway, the game doesn't really start until the 7th inning.