1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Running Red Sox thread

Discussion in 'MLB - Baseball Forum' started by vpkozel, Apr 25, 2005.

1. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

The Sox have said that they aren't giving up both. Really, the Twins are kind of backed into a corner, as the team he goes to is basically trading for just one year of him, because the same teams wil all be in on the bidding this time next year.

2. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

I think collin's 100 percent right. which doesn't bother me one bit because the Sox will be solid either way, plus they'll retain Crisp as a trading piece.

3. vpkozel

12:15 p.m., from Peter Gammons
    • Don't expect to see a Twins-Red Sox or Twins-Yankees whopper. The sense is now that Minnesota will hold onto Johan Santana.

4. Elric

Elric Citizen of the Empire

I don't think the Sox or the Yankees really want to give up the prospects to get Santana. Not to mention having to pay the $$$ it would take to get his name on a new contract. PR from both sides I think but you never know, someone may pull the trigger and do the deal.

5. Collin

Collin soap and water

I think the Yankees legitimately crave Santana, but rightly don't want to give up the farm when the Twins don't have a lot of options anyway. Meanwhile I don't know that Boston was really that desperate, but was more just cock-blocking New York. In any case, regardless of what Theo says, I'd have to think that they'll need to give up both Lester and Ellsbury if they ever wanted to really get that deal done. Really, though, Minnesota should just pony up the damn cash and keep the guy. Moving Santana would dynamite the last shred of credibility that team has with its fan base.

6. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

if the sox don't get this deal done, it may very well wind up being for the best. A couple years from now they're gonna have way bigger fish to fry: leftfielder, shortstop and catcher. and shortly thereafter: third baseman and possibly another outfielder (depending how Drew progresses).

7. Collin

Collin soap and water

If there was a salary cap then I'd agree, but there isn't, and Santana is the best pitcher on the planet. My one and only concern is that, as durable as Santana has been, I don't know that you can ever count on any pitcher staying healthy given what the pitching motion does to the shoulder and elbow.

Don't get me wrong, Ellsbury looks like he should end up being the best leadoff hitter in the majors, but a quality centerfielder who can get on base and run isn't as valuable as a true ace. And hell, if Boston can get Santana by giving up the entire farm system without including Ellsbury or Buchholz, that should be a dream for them. Lester will probably be a league average guy, which is valuable, but not exceptionally so. If I were in Theo's shoes I'd just offer any 5 to 7 prospects the Twins wanted that didn't include those two.

8. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

I know it's not being very realistic, especially since the Sox are in the same division as the Yankees, but I'd like to see the team have long-term success and win a few titles with as much home-grown talent as possible. That said, I realize that anyone who wants santana is going to have to give up a lot more than they've offered so far. Regardless of his stature as the best pitcher in baseball, I just don't want to see Ellsbury or Buchholz included in any deal. They've offered Crisp, Lester and three top prospects (Jed Lowrie (club's fourth best prospect), Justin Masterson (third best) and Ryan Kalish, eigth best)). I'd add Brandon Moss (No. 10) or Michael Bowden (No. 5) and say take it or leave it. That would be five of the team's top 10 prospects plus two big league ready players. Fuck 'em if that's not enough.

9. vpkozel

That's an awful lot to give up for one year of Santana.

10. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

huh?