1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Running Red Sox thread

Discussion in 'MLB - Baseball Forum' started by vpkozel, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Collin

Collin soap and water

No, I guess not, but this may have been the first time I never even watched one of the games. I was completely uninterested, and it seemed like the Boston fans during the ALCS weren't that passionate either. Even Bill Simmons was talking about how he just wasn't that into it.

2. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

Johan Santana

saw this on one "rumor" site that is really just someone making speculations:

Coco Crisp, Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester for Johan Santana.

thoughts?

only asking because I can see the Sox making a play for Santana, if not around the trade deadline in '08 then after he becomes a free agent next November.

that's a tough one. On the one hand, it's nice to have that stable of good young pitchers (Michael Bowden and Justin Masterson are viewed as top prospects as well), and Buccholz and Lester have shown they may turn out to be pretty good pros. On the other hand, you know what you're getting with Santana, who I think could be a perreniel 20-game winner with the Sox offense behind him.

It's intriguing.

You'd have Beckett, Santana, Santana and....what, Wakefield and some free agent fifth starter. I guess I'd be more inclined to pass, unless the sox could hold on to Buccholz and throw someone else in with crisp and lester. or wait and hope santana is available in free agency. You know the Yankees are gonna be all over it, via trade or FA.

3. Collin

Collin soap and water

No question you do that if you're Boston. Buchholz is a potential star, but Santana is the best pitcher of this decade.

4. 49erpi

49erpi Full Access Member

No question? There are a bunch of questions. How about that would mean giving up the future of this pitching staff in Buchholz and Lester after just giving up another stud lefthander in Gabbard for basically nothing.

And, BTW, I can't imagine anyone picking up coco's contract.

5. Collin

Collin soap and water

Lester doesn't even come close to making up the difference between Buchholz and Santana. Obviously I'm assuming that they sign Santana to an extension, as I don't believe they'd do a deal otherwise.

6. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

the sox would win either way (getting Santana or holding on to Buccholz and Lester). I'd be more inclined to hold onto the young pitchers and make a play for Santana if he's available in free agency after the 08 season (highly unlikely). Best case scenario, IMHMFO, Theo packages Lester, Crisp and a prospect or two (Please pitch well next year, Craig Hansen and Daniel Bard) and retains Buccholz.

the sox did fuck up trading Gabbard for Gagne, but that's only because Gagne completely sucked ass after arriving in Boston. Gabbard isn't a stud, he's nothing more than a fifth starter on a good team. High ERA, shitty walk-to-strikeout ratio, injury history.

7. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

Globe and Herald reporting the Sox are close to a deal to bring schilling back for a season. wonder who will be the odd man out between Lester and Buccholz (if one or both isn't traded). If Timlin isn't brought back, maybe one will get his job in the bullpen with plans to move into the rotation in '09.

8. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

Yeah - Schilling's posts on his blog seem to be show he's pretty confident on something getting done. Really, there is no downside with that. Personally, I am glad he's going to be coming back.

9. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

Saw this on his blog too, it's pretty interesting.

10. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

great pitcher. nauseating ego