1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Running Red Sox thread

Discussion in 'MLB - Baseball Forum' started by vpkozel, Apr 25, 2005.

1. two-six

two-six yes, i carved this

yeah, youk was an excellent 3b, hence the skills at 1st. i say gotta have papi at 1st. lowell or youk at 3rd is good by me. thats the tough choice.

2. 007

007 Full Access Member

Fox moved his 1b to 3b and his catcher to 1b for the 06 national championship game against OSU. Ortiz at 1b and Youk at 3b is the same thing, two players out of their season-long positions.
    Ortiz is older than he was in 04 (duh), and has a bad knee.
    I agree that Ortiz is one of the greatest clutch hitters, but there's much more to playing first than catching the ball with your foot on the bag.

3. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

valid points. I'm thinking there's a happy medium here: Ortiz plays first against righties; sits against lefties. The only decision to be made, then, is who between Youk and Lowell sits when Ortiz plays. My opinion would be to go with the hotter hand, which is Youkilis, with Ortiz sitting late for defensive purposes (Youk back to first, Lowell to third).

4. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

I think that Youk will sit against righties until he is brought in for defensive purposes.

5. 007

007 Full Access Member

Regardless of how Francona plays it, the Red Sox will not have their optimum lineup on the field in Colorado, but the Rockies will.
    Boston had better win the first two at Fenway, so they can be assured of coming home for game 6.

6. Collin

Collin soap and water

Youkilis played 18 games in left field in 2006, but that's all for his career. He presumably is the one who sits in Colorado. The bitch of it for the Red Sox is that I don't know that you ever feel comfortable to take Papi out for a defensive replacement.

7. two-six

i agree with never feeling good about taking papi out.

thanks collin, i thought i remembered him patrolling the OF some last year, just didn't have time to look it up.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  8. vpkozel

I really don't know much about the Rockies, but here is how I see it breakdown:

SP - The Sox have 2 of the best postseason pitchers of all time. Edge - Sox

RP - Not 100% sure what the Rockies have - I know Corpas has had a pretty good year - but Timlin has been there before and Okajima is pitching very well now that he's got some rest. And is there anyone in the majors other than Riveria (and I think it's a close call) that you would want to give the ball to in the 9th other than Paps? Edge - Sox

C - I don't know anything about Torrealba, but Tek is always solid Edge - Sox

1B - Helton is great for average and great on defense. Youl is great for average and great on defense. Problem is, he doesn't play when they're in Denver Edge - Rockies

2B - Matsui is having a good year, but Pedroia is having a great year Edge - Sox

3B - Atkins is having a very good year. Lowell is having a great year. Edge - Sox

SS - LMAO. Yeah, right. Edge - Rockies

LF - Manny is having a great postseason after having a down year in teh regular season. Holliday is having an MVP year all around. Edge - Rockies

CF - 2 youngs guys having what look to be the start of a long run in the majors Edge - Even

RF - Hawpe had a and drove in a shitload more runs than Drew. Drew is having a good run as of late though. Well, at least he looks kind of interested. Edge - Rockies

Bench - The have a solid bench with Crisp, Hinske, Kielty, and Cora. I have no idea about the Rockies bench. Edge - I have no idea

Prediction - You obviously have to be wary of a team that has won 21 of 22. I think that the Rockies will take a game or 2 but seeing Beckett and Schilling 4 times is a tall order to overcome.

Sox in 6.

9. two-six

i agree with most. i'd change the pen to a push. fuentes has been solid as the setup man. okajima has fallen off, and gagne has been a disappointment.

as far as bench, the rockies are young. this team can be good for years to come. so far, the kids haven't let the bright lights of playoff baseball affect them in the least.

in a nutshell, the long layoff kills their mo and the sox win in 5. iit will be fun next monday witha game 5 and monday night football in town. what a nightmare for traffic.

oh yeah, don't forget papi vs spillborgs or whomever in boston. as much as no dh hurts in 3-5, it helps more in the home games.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  10. vpkozel

I'm just gonna putt all of my game 1 thoughts in 1 post.

----------------------------

Well, that was a good start.

Wow. Great play by Atkins.

Let's not go back to the bad JD, OK. I can't believe it's 10:15 and we're just starting the 5th inning

Jeez - let's save some for later. And are you really telling me that no one in the Fox booth could tell Bck and McArver that the picture was Wally? Sesame Street? Are you fucking shittig me? Oh, and I like the JD who can hit with 2 outs.

Why did Tito bring Beckett back for the 7th?

Amazingly enough, I'm fairly comfortable that Gange can't blow this lead.