1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Running Red Sox thread

Discussion in 'MLB - Baseball Forum' started by vpkozel, Apr 25, 2005.

1. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

saw that. this pretty much clinches my opinion that a starting pitcher is what the sox should go after via trade. too many question marks involving Lester and/or Tavarez and now this.

2. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

Only saw snipets of the game last night, but nice job by Drew, Tavarez, and Papi. Schill to the DL.

3. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

Tavarez is gonna made Francona's decision to move him to the pen difficult. But how do you not give Lester a spot. I guess they could always move Tavarez, but that would piss off Manny. the sox with too much pitching (provided Schilling isn't hurting too badly): who'da thunk?

4. vpkozel

The thing is that I think Tavarez is gonna be happy just to be there. If you watch him on off days, he's always joking around with somebody down there - he seems to hang out with Dice a good bit. I figure that the best thing to do would be to bring Lester up, let him pitch some long relief to get comfortable, then give him a start or two to see how he does. If he does well, then great, you reevaluate and maybe move Tavarez to the pen.

I guess that it would always be an option to just tell Lester that they want to give him as much work as possible, but don't want to overdo things. But if he's ready, he's ready - and it's not like it would suck having a lefty starter.

5. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

great point. Lester won't be able to go more than five when he does start. Let Tavarez toss the long relief in his starts.

I like the idea of Buehrle in a sox uni, but not enough to blow up the farm.

6. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

clay buchholz improved to 5-2 and lowered his ERA to 1.82 with five shutout innings yesterday against connecticut. WTF? move him to triple A already.

7. vpkozel

This was in the BH about Schill - from his old doc. Sounds kind of encouraging actually.

Curt’s former surgeon offers diagnosis
    By Rob Bradford
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 - Updated: 04:37 AM EST

ATLANTA - Dr. Craig Morgan was driving home Tuesday from his practice in Wilmington, Del., listening to Philadelphia sports radio when he heard the news.

Curt Schilling [stats], Morgan’s friend and former patient, was headed back to Boston to have tests on his ailing right shoulder.

The news of the potential injury immediately made the doctor, who performed shoulder surgeries on Schilling in both 1995 and 1999, pick up the phone to check in on his fishing buddy.

“I watched the game (Monday night), and he had no control, and his velocity was down,” Morgan said. “According to him, it was a painless loss of velocity. To me, that’s not a structural problem, and I would predict his MRI would be normal, which he told me it was.

“When you throw at his level, you throw with your whole body. The first place you look is your left hip. If they get some contracture in their left hip where they lose some internal rotation that actually affects their velocity and everything else . . . (they might not) even know. It’s kind of like having high blood pressure and you don’t know it until you look for it.

“That probably is No. 1 on the list of something that would sap your velocity, and it’s easily fixed with a stretching program.”

The news of the normal MRI was encouraging, but Morgan knew that because Schilling received a subacromial cortisone injection, any kind of throwing probably was out of the question for five days. As it turned out, the Red Sox [team stats] announced Schilling will be placed on the 15-day DL.

It will the first stay on the DL because of a shoulder problem for the 40-year-old Schilling since late in the 1999 season, when the right-hander was with the Philadelphia Phillies. Morgan performed surgery Dec. 13, 1999, a procedure in which he cut the capsule in the back of Schilling’s shoulder to help the inflammation.

It was the second time Morgan performed a somewhat innovative procedure on Schilling, who made history following the 1995 surgery.

“He was the first successful major league labrial repair,” Morgan said. “Back in those days, they used to call the lesion a ‘glass shoulder,’ and you were done. He was the first successful repair, and boy was he successful. He went to the well twice and got away with it.”

In addition to the kinetic issues in Schilling’s performance, Morgan had other possible explanations for the painless drop in velocity. He said overuse of the muscles that control the scapula could have been to blame, or the kind of tightness in the back of the shoulder that the pitcher experienced in ’99.

Schilling is familiar with the symptoms of the latter ailment, and the pitcher relayed to Morgan that wasn’t the case this time.

“I didn’t hear anything scary coming from him,” Morgan said. “But this kinetic change thing could explain why he had a good outing, a bad outing, a good outing, an almost no-hitter, and then this. If he had something structurally that was a problem, every outing would be bad and he would have pain. He didn’t have that.”

8. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

15 days on the DL will do him good. He'll miss the sunday start at SD, but Beckett will take his spot because of the day off today (How good will Beckett-Peavey be?). The other start he'd miss appears to be home a game against Texas. Sets up good for Lester, who will likely make his debut against his hometown Mariners and then face Texas in Fenway next weekend.

9. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

10. sockittome16

sockittome16 Full Access Member

If the Red Sox get Buerhle that rotation will just be ridiculous.