1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Run Game

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by HeadCase, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Full Access Member

Colon posted an email that a 6'13" gardener who played semi pro teather ball sent to a writer for a comic book that said he had the same surgery as Otah and he will only lose 3.1412% of his mobility.

2. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I do not want to stifle Cam and the success he his having but at the same time we do need to get a lot more from the running game. Imagine how much more effective play action would be if the other team was worried about our running game. If Cam threw the ball a few less times per game it might help cut down on the turnovers as well.

The main reason we are losing games though is that our defense gives up too many big plays. If they can stop those long touchdown passes then it will make a big difference in the outcome.

3. HeadCase

HeadCase dazed and confused

Imagine how much more effective our screens and draws would be if the other team was worried about our passing game ... oh wait, you don't have to imagine you can just go back and rewatch the GB game.

I'm with you in wanting to run more and putting less on Cam. Just don't think the answer it "to stick with it." It's fine "to stick with it" if you're running the ball down people's throat. But, when you aren't able to just run over folks, we all became bored to death with that approach and it wasn't working anymore anywho. We want to be able to make teams pay if they over play the run or pass. So far, we're racking up yards but not the points. Doesn't make the opposing team happy but gives them a more than better chance to beat us ... or even more likely, a more than better chance for us to beat ourselves (see your point regarding poor safety play, boneheaded mistakes and not protecting the football ... but please don't derail the thread). So my guess is we will see a lot more of what GB did until we can start scoring TDs. We're close but we ain't got no brownie points for that.

4. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

I've been wondering about this. I don't know enough to be able to tell how different the blocking scheme is under Chud.

5. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

I thought Keydrick Vincent was at RG during that season. :thinking:

6. Purrsy

Purrsy Full Access Member

Thought Vincent got hurt and Handy started for him? Can't really remember....

7. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

If you are going to have an effective running game you are going to have to keep trying even if you do not have a lot of success at it early in the game. I am not saying we need to go back to running a draw on 3rd and 15 all the time but a little more balance would help.

8. Purrsy

More balance, yes. But the days of them gaining 1,000 yards each are gone. We may be running nowadays just to keep them honest, and if that's indeed the case, then holy shit resigning Williams was not the brightest thing to do.

9. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

I think it was the last two games of '09, not the '08 season, that people are basing that "same OL" thing off of. Vincent was playing at the end of '08.

10. Purrsy

Ah.

Shit, I can't remember. Either way, the line needs to pick it up. These big passes should open up some lanes, right? :/