1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Run Game

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by HeadCase, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Collin

Collin soap and water

I think this OL is actually better suited for pass protection than run blocking.

2. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

You may be correct in that assessment. Even so though it will take them a while to transition. If we are not going to run the ball any more than we have been it might be smart to put Wharton back at tackle. He and Gross are pretty effective pass blocking tackles. Otah does not appear to be coming back anytime soon and he is key to the run game.

3. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Full Access Member

Is this week soon enough?

4. HeadCase

HeadCase dazed and confused

Otah at practice today and supposed to play this weekend. my understanding is that this is now the exact same line as we had when double trouble had their big year.

5. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

He may be scheduled to come back and play but I will not believe that he is healthy and able to play at a high level again consistently until I see it. Huge guys like him tend to be fragile and have a hard time coming back from injuries.

If he can return to his 2008 form and stay healthy then we should be able to run the ball well, assuming we try.

6. HeadCase

they did run either a FB or TE in the backfield on about 10 plays (split about half and half between run and pass plays -- like i said good balance in play calling). think we were just as ineffective using this type of alignment. Fox's style was he was gonna keep running until he wore you down, even if it wasn't working.

Chud isn't going to do that. He may run a draw but for the most part if he doesn't gain four or five yards on first down, he's gonna put Cam in the shotgun and throw it. i think with Cam this is the better philosophy than to run the first two downs (and then as Fox would do, a draw on 3rd down and then punt) and have him facing 3rd and long all day long. Cam throws it for big chunks, so you give him 2 chances rather than 1 to move the chains. personally, i like that.

we have to find ways to pick up 3-4-5 yards on first down running the ball at least half the time to be in a position to run the ball "more." i think our OL has to start playing harder to open holes. particularly when Otah is playing, we have enough talent on the line. and, Chud has got to put more attention into getting the run game going (and being more creative than "just running it more often"). we got two great backs, we don't need big holes. but Collin is right, not having a really good FB (or H-back) is hurting our ability to crash it up inside.

come to think of it. is that blocking TE we brought in being used? i didn't notice.

btw, Lafell is looking so much better fighting for the ball. i may even be taking a liking to him.

7. Coach Micool

Coach Micool Let's Go Brandon!

I like him much better'n Nanee, for sure..

8. HeadCase

but i guess we don't have Hoover and King anymore

9. HeadCase

damn, now i'm talking to myself. shit.

10. HeadCase

yep, i think the only reason he's playing now is that he knows the system and where he is supposed to be. doesn't block, doesn't fight for the ball. about the only positive thing i've seen him do is confuse the hell outa the D by running into one of our other WR's. i don't think it's fair to classify him as a WR. should be new designation like IM for invisible man.