1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Run Game

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by HeadCase, Sep 19, 2011.

1. HeadCase

HeadCase dazed and confused

serious question for the xperts here (which is why i still like this board the best. we got better xperts) ... what's up with the run game?

i think it's play design and philosophy of new coaches, but really not sure.

collin made what seems to me to be the most intelligent stab in saying that it's due to them using the spread to simplify things for Cam. maybe he can stupify that enough for me so that i can understand what that means.

espn also may touched on something somewhat intelligent when they said the coaches are not asking Cam to be a game-manager and limiting him to 3rd-down throws but are allowing him to throw a lot which will speed up his learning curve. not sure that explains the lack of run production but perhaps explains why the coaches are not sticking it with it more. i think i would like to see Cam taking less shots as i don't really believe the hype that he's superman.

the paranoia in me worries that JR and coaches have bought a lot of Under Armor stock or that Bojangles is becoming stagnant and JR needs a new pitchman so he's issued marching orders to damn the wins and just fire Cam so he has amazing stats.

:winkiss:

2. BWI-Panther

BWI-Panther Full Access Member

Not an expert, but it is just as it sounds. "Spread" means we are spreading our players. We are giving Cam multiple targets which often means running plays without a FB (and subbing in an extra TE or WR instead). As you can imagine, it is much harder to run the ball when taking snaps from shotgun and/or running without the FB lead blocking.

3. CLTNative

CLTNative Head Game

I just wish they would just stop trying to run out of shotgun. That shit just doesn't work in the No Fun League.

4. gopanthers40

gopanthers40 Full Access Member

I would certainly like to see more from our running game and expected to see more with teams trying to stop our new high powered passing offense. However, I am thrilled with what this new coaching staff is doing offensively. I prefer to see a somewhat more balanced attack, but I prefer this to the old Foxy style of run run pass punt.

5. Jaz

Jaz Full Access Member

Its true I think scheme has a lot to do with it. I also think our O-line is failing to get a lot of push. Its a solid group but not the road graders that will open up huge holes.

Rivera seems to think it has a lot to do with defenses stacking the box and that has resulted in the increased passing yard and defenses will eventually pull back the extra defender. Not sure how much I believe him.

6. Collin

Collin soap and water

I'm not 100% against it because I'm not sure that the Panthers could run successfully anymore out 2 back formations given the injuries on the right side of the OL, the lack of a true blocking TE, and inconsistency at fullback. Plus it does help Cam contribute right away, since he's obviously much more comfortable out of the shotgun with multiple receivers, although the downside is that we're not using this time to get Newton used to being under center.

In any case, the spread hurts your ability to run at the NFL level because it limits the holes you can realistically target. If you're four wide with the RB beside the QB, the RB can cross the face of the QB and try to run to the opposite side (not a terrible idea since our right side is suspect now anyway), or dive in one of the A gaps. Meanwhile a single back formation with two or even one tight end gives you more options because the QB can lead the RB in either direction. Obviously wideouts are also going to be less effective blocking defenders than a lineman or tight end, so the more you put on the field the more problematic that becomes.

I mentioned when he was hired that the system Chud learned didn't feature a lot of the fullback, but I'd still like to see more of Newton under center with one back behind him. Tennessee is another team that comes to mind who used a lot of single back sets in recent seasons, but obviously still ran the ball with a lot of success. I don't think that DW or Stewart necessarily need to have a lead blocker, as they both ran without it in college, but they'll need the line to create holes and for the TEs or WRs to hold the edge. Shockey gives good effort as a blocker, but he can't overpower people.

7. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

It kinda sucks to see our running game evaporate after being pretty good for a few years. Cam might benefit from running the ball a little more and doing it from a traditional set. Surely he can handle the hand offs starting from under center.

8. ColinG

ColinG Just Football Please

This...that and put butts in seats because of the exciting way in which we are losing. Honestly last season when we lost I was just plain mad. Now I walk out of the sports bar here in DC with people says our team was fun to watch and full of promise. BIG difference. If we ran the ball and lost what would _feel_ different? Little.

9. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

Well, we might not lose (as many) if we could run the ball. There would be more hope and more fun.

This season's a wash though, with the new staff and the circumstances. I'm hoping with a year under his belt and a proper offseason, Newton is more able to run the whole offense. And it's not just him, everyone had to re-learn stuff, with no time.

And we need to decide what to do about Notah. It's like Dan Morgan, we count on him to be there, and he's not. Fucks things up.

10. Collin

Collin soap and water

Can't disagree.