1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Roy > dean

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by LarryD, Apr 6, 2009.

1. DJ_Tet

DJ_Tet Full Access Member

Of course it's alright for two people to disagree, it's a subjective opinion at best and as I already conceded, it's not really a good comparison due to many factors.

This thread has gone just about everywhere, definitely one of the most active basketball threads in awhile. It was fun.

2. UNCfever

UNCfever Full Access Member

Surely you don't think kids who aren't even remotely close to their prime as talent goes would be even close to NBA players in their prime when they played the game. You both have valid points, but you really aren't comparing apples to apples so it doesn't really matter.

Which Jordan would you want? The one in college or the one that had been in the NBA a few years?

Which Brand would you want? The one in college or the one that had been in the NBA a few years?

3. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

DJ, now's a good time to accept his concession of defeat.

4. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

that's nice. where do you come up with "top 10"?

what statements are you referring to? so far all I see are yours.

Talk about stupid-ass statements. you've put yourself on the spot here. Name your 50 and show that it's you who doesn't know shit.

5. Powerbait

Powerbait Jawbreaker

Wow, 50 coaches right now that are better than Boehiem? I don't know that Boehiem would be on my top 10 coaches coaching right now, but he is definitely a great coach.

Personally, I think Mike Anderson is the best coach coaching right now. Calimari is one of the top 10 coaches in the game too. Sure guys like Roy Williams are good coaches, but it is easier to win when a guy like Ty Lawson knows from the time he is 7 that he wants to play at Chapel Hill.

Roy Williams has never really had to prove his mettle anywhere, he took over two of the most storied programs in NCAA history. He's not Pitino, Coach K, Calhoun, Izzo, or Boehiem. Yes, he has now won two titles, but with the calibre of player he's getting, he should have won more than that. He is very much like Dean Smith.

So, while I'm sure Roy Williams would do a great job, I wouldn't want him to take over a program unless it was already elite.

6. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

good post. what Fucko is doing as I type is googling so he can find a site that gives the winning percentages of all coaches in D-1, and picking out 50 who have a higher percentage than Boeheim. then he'll post that as "fact" that Boeheim isn't top 50. That's how limited his knowledge is. He lacks the brain capacity to take anything else into account.

7. UNCfever

Agreed, he probably wouldn't be in the top 20 for me, but would be close to that and a given to be in the top 50. While Roy did take over storied programs as people like to harp on. He still has to recruit, coach, etc. Doh was running the storied UNC program into the ground, so yes a coach can make a difference.

8. Powerbait

Powerbait Jawbreaker

Doh took over a program that Gut was running into the ground. The recruiting class he brought in is the one that got Roy Williams over the hump. I do not think that Doh is as good as Roy, but he certainly was recruting great players.

There is a reason Roy Williams waited before he took over the reins, he didn't want to have to rebuild the mess that Guthridge had left behind. Sure, he might not have gone 8-20, but there is no reason to think he wouldn't have had a losing season.

9. UncOverDukeEasy

UncOverDukeEasy Full Access Member

Winning in the NCAA tournament is the mark of a good coach. And winning RECENTLY might be more important.
    NCAA Tournament record of notable coaches over the past ten years:

Roy Williams 33-8
    Tom Izzo 25-9
    Bill Self 23-9
    k 23-9
    Billy Donovan 20-6
    Jim Calhoun 20-7
    Ben Howland 18-7
    Gary Williams 16-6
    Lute Olson 15-8
    John Calapari 14-6
    Tubby Smith 14-9
    Jim Boeheim 13-6
    Rick Pitino 12-6
    Mark Few 11-10

10. UNCfever

Doh had one great recruiting class, nothing else. Those same players hated Doh, not saying he wouldn't have won a title, but given how things were going with the program, it's very doubtful. As far as losing season, etc, there are always going to be a couple of transition years going from coach to coach, although that wouldn't be as tough for UNC because of their success, so the whole thing of he didn't want to come here because of the talent level is just stupid. He has proven that he has no PROBLEM getting talent.