1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Recent Memphis basketball newpaper coverage

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by HighPoint49er, Oct 5, 2003.

1. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

UNCC has been pretty decent for the last 10 years or so - but overall not nearly as good as UNC, Duke, and even Wake - but before that they pretty much sucked ass.

They also have the misfortune of being in the same area as what has generally been regarded as the best basketball conference in college over the past 50 years.

Sometimes life isn't fair.

Top 6 or 7 conference - I can go with that. Just curious though, how many major conferences do you think there are?

2. vpkozel

You left out a couple. Utah, Indiana, Kentucky Tourney I am guessing), Washington, at Georgia, at NC State. How's that schedule look now?

And my point is that if Gonzaga is willling to travel across the country to play State and Georgia, and willing to travel to tourneys, why aren't y'all. I guess cause it's easier to bitch that no one will play you.

I'll answer the rest later. I gotta watch the game.

3. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

I'm sure you're right.

There are San Franciso 49er fans everywhere still. Of course those are still just bandwagon fans from those Super Bowl/Joe Montana years.

;)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2003
  4. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

Ok, let's say an ACC team plays Charlotte in Halton and loses. Portential recruits may think, "hey, maybe Charlotte is pretty good afterall, they just beat my Heels, Wolfpack, etc. " , and start strongly considering us. I think that's the reason we don't see area teams play us in Charlotte or anywhere for that matter.

5. HighPoint49er

HighPoint49er Full Access Member

That's right UGA is going to Washington to play them there too. The Washington game to Gonzaga is the same as us playing Davidson. I might add that Charlotte has been in the UK tournament twice I think, one of them being the famous "Rape in Rupp" where a phantom charge call was called on Byron Dinkins. Unless something has happened recently UK never has lost that tournament either. The way the NCAA and courts have ruled lately a coach would be crazy to schedule any tournament other than the preseason NIT or the games in Hawaii.

Yep, we had Indiana 3 years in a row, coming up 2with Arizona and Alabama and another 2 with Indiana, Long Beach State (yes I know they're chump but a road trip). The Niners will travel anywhere. For some reason, I can't imagine why, teams don't want to return a game in Halton or play there at all. I can assure you, it's not from a lack of trying to schedule them.

6. vpkozel

Originally posted by HighPoint49er

That's right UGA is going to Washington to play them there too.

Gonzaga has earned it - y'all haven't

The Washington game to Gonzaga is the same as us playing Davidson.

Except Gonzaga is good :D

I might add that Charlotte has been in the UK tournament twice I think, one of them being the famous "Rape in Rupp" where a phantom charge call was called on Byron Dinkins. Unless something has happened recently UK never has lost that tournament either. The way the NCAA and courts have ruled lately a coach would be crazy to schedule any tournament other than the preseason NIT or the games in Hawaii.

Alaska is still a good tourney, and I think that there are a couple of others. And you aren't doing your case that y'all a consistently good team a lot of good by saying that KU scheduled you to be a patsy in their tourney that they have never lost. ;)

Yep, we had Indiana 3 years in a row, coming up 2with Arizona and Alabama and another 2 with Indiana, Long Beach State (yes I know they're chump but a road trip). The Niners will travel anywhere. For some reason, I can't imagine why, teams don't want to return a game in Halton or play there at all. I can assure you, it's not from a lack of trying to schedule them.

Good for y'all. I hope you do well. So go earn those return trips.

See, this is the problem that I have with a lot of y'all - you keep complaining that the ACC doesn't respect you and taht their teams won't come to Halton, when apparently it's not just the ACC, it's everybody.

Nobody owes you anything - and y'all just can't get that. I made this point in another thread - in the past 11 years y'all jave gone to the tourney 7 times (or something like that - I know Metro will have the exact figures) and won your first round game 5 times. I do not think you have advanced to the Sweet 16. That means that your record is 5-7. In that same span Carolina has been to the Final Four 5 times and won a Nat'l Championship.

In other words, we have been to the Final 4 as often as y'all have won one fucking game.

We generally always play one of the hardest schedules in the country, so accusing us of ducking anyone is just plain fucking stupid.

7. vpkozel

Do enough to make an ACC team schedule there and then we'll talk. That is my whole point.

Here's the deal, y'all make the tourney 5 years in a row, win your first game each year, go to teh Sweet 16 3 times, and advance to at least one Final 4 and I'll be your personal fucking campaign manager that people need to start coming to your house. Until then, you're asking for charity.

8. jimwilliams

jimwilliams Junior Member

vp, you asked me how many conferneces I thought there were, since we agree that CUSA is a top 6-7 conference. Looks like to me there are 31. If the local paper doesn't give 1st coverage to a home team that is a consistant contender in a top 25% conference, something isn't right. But, you are right, life isn't always fair....sometimes self serving XXXXs get in the way....

1 BIG TEN
    2 SOUTHEASTERN
    3 ATLANTIC COAST
    4 PACIFIC-10
    5 BIG 12
    6 BIG EAST
    7 CONFERENCE USA
    8 MOUNTAIN WEST
    9 MID-AMERICAN
    10 ATLANTIC 10
    11 WESTERN ATHLETIC
    12 Missouri Valley
    13 WEST COAST
    14 MIDWESTERN COLLEGIATE
    15 BIG SKY
    16 COLONIAL
    17 OHIO VALLEY
    18 BIG WEST
    19 SUN BELT
    20 METRO ATLANTIC
    21 SOUTHERN
    22 SOUTHLAND
    23 MID-CONTINENT
    24 PATRIOT
    25 NORTHEAST
    26 AMERICA EAST
    27 BIG SOUTH
    28 TRANS AMERICA
    29 IVY LEAGUE
    31 SOUTHWESTERN
    32 MID-EASTERN

9. vpkozel

What I really wanted to know was how many MAJOR conferences you think that there are. CUSA is near the bottom of THAT list - if it is even on it.

10. Iron9er

Iron9er Full Access Member

Indiana, Arizona, and Alabama have all had great success recently....much more than that chapel hill team (as have about 75 other schools), and they dont mind coming to Charlotte, so who cares? Not me.