1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Recent Memphis basketball newpaper coverage

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by HighPoint49er, Oct 5, 2003.

1. sf49er

sf49er Full Access Member

Guys I grew up in Charlotte went to S Meck, etc....

I am now 45 and live in Greenville, NC, you WILL NOT get the Big O to change on giving us more coverage than UNC.

Won't happen, I would not discuss it anymore with Mike P as the paper will not increase the coverage. Best thing you can do is not buy the paper as your dollars speak volumes.

Mike P is getting a big kick out of this I promise you, so why do you insisit on debating him? He is simply pulling your chain.

Whether he admits it or not, He doesn't give a shit about UNCC..

2. metro

metro Charlotte49erfootballfan

if he even is who he says he is. :)

3. Mike_Persinger

Mike_Persinger Member

Metro, you've got the number. Call me and ask. :D

4. Iron9er

Iron9er Full Access Member

Exactlly my point, Mike, nothing has changed....actions speak much louder than words. My actions have been to not buy the Observer in the past year (I do admit I read the Panthers coverage online- hey, its free). But, honestly speaking, the Observer is about the last place to get quality 49er coverage. Jason Jordan gets my $5.95 a month for his site. I'm happier that way and don't feel ripped off or unsupported, so I've been totally quiet on this issue for a while.

Anyways, the only problem I have is when you come on our boards and act like the Observer actually does a good job covering the 49ers, pasting every article that has one word about or school on the boards. We both know our coverage is poor (I'm not really sure I care about the reasons why). I'd rather you just admit it so everyone can move on.

5. HighPoint49er

HighPoint49er Full Access Member

:applause: :applause: :applause:

6. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

The funniest part is that y'all honestly believe this

7. HighPoint49er

Okay, vp... why did Clemson CANCEL the third contracted game (a Charlotte home game) several years back? Why could assistant Lane Odom not get his father Dave Odom of Wake Forest to schedule a contest? Lutz and Judy Rose will sign a contract against any ACC team, provided it's home and home. Heck, Alabama, Arizona and Indiana will do it, why won't they?

This is a no-brainer, a simple home and home series, no guaranteed $$$ changing hands, home team keeps the gate revenue. It's a bus trip fot 5 maybe 6 of the ACC schools, so the costs are minimal. No they had rather play Podunk U and pay them a healthy fee to get a W.

For example, High Point played at Kentucky for $30000, flew home and then out to of all places, Washington State for $50000. Why haven't we played Gardner Webb? According to Lutz, they wanted too much of a guarantee to play. Why do we play Apppalachian, no guarantee, they bring a good paying crowd to Charlotte and we do the same for them.

Imagine that concept.....

8. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

Let me get this straight. Y'all's conspiracy theory is now based on CLEMSON - FUCKING CLEMSON - being scared to play you. What were they afrid of - the traffic - cause they damn sure weren't going to the NCAA's. Hell, if I was y'all I'd be pissed at Rose for not canceling the series sooner so that y'all could schedule a better opponent.

The bottom line is this. All the ACC schools get plenty of exposure in this area and really don't need more. And most of them want to expand their recruiting base, so they schedule another regional foe. I know that y'all feel like you are the equals of these schools, but if you were, then I am guessing you would have no problem getting a game with another good program.

And before anyone brings it up, I will be the forst to say that I do not feel that UNC's schedule the past few years has been up to our standards - I expect this to change going forward.

The real question you should be asking is why Rose can't get you invited to some of those holiday tourneys or the preseason NIT or coaches vs. cancer. Those are some places where you might knock off a good team.

Y'all should look at Gonzaga as a role model. They went deep in the tourney and now everyone knows who they are. Start winning games before bitching about people being scared to play you.

9. jimwilliams

jimwilliams Junior Member

I'm not from Charlotte, but it is hard for me to imagine a home town newspaper not giving headline-front page coverage to a home team that is a contender every year in a conference that is unquestionably one of the top 6 or 7 conferences in the NCAA.

If that doesn't happen, something is wrong with the newspaper, not the university.....sounds like someone has an axe to grind at the newspaper.

10. HighPoint49er

my point vp, Clemson didn't want to play us after scheduling it. What happened 3 years ago when NCSU played us in the RBC in front of 2000 (that's right 3 zeros) and the 49ers beat the living daylights out of Sendek's squad, they said no more. What does Charlotte do, play schools with mid level RPIs, the George Washingtons, Southern Illinois, Valpo, Miami, FL (oh, they didn't want to renew the series) to name a few. Why did Charlotte turn down a home game to play at Syracuse? They'll get more national recognition there (even in losing) than playing Clemson. I ask you this, which do you think would be easier for Charlotte to sell tickets for though in Halton Arena... Clemson or Final Four team Texas? I can guarantee the Clemson game would bring in more walk-up sales.

As for Gonzaga, they went to the tournament based on winning their conference. Some of their OOC games this season: Denver, Eastern Washington, Idaho and Montana. Those are gonna get you to the dance!