1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Recent Memphis basketball newpaper coverage

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by HighPoint49er, Oct 5, 2003.

1. metro

metro Charlotte49erfootballfan

I am not giving you a hard time, maybe I misunderstood you, it reads like you think Langson influences kids decisions, and I don't agree with that. I remember in high school how big a joke we thought Langston was, albeit another sport.

2. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

You are assuming that all of the alums stay in this area, which I don't think is going to happen. As for the numbers - most definitely UNCC can be bigger - Chapel Hill is kept - and I think should be kept - artificially small. I don't want it to become a Michigan or Ohio St. with 100,000 students. But I still don't think that a larger fan base will translate into more coverage. Look at Gonzaga. What do you think their fan base is? Yet they get plenty of pub - why is taht. Because they are good - that's why.

And if you are only going to recruit players form this area, then you are not going to get better. I know you don't like hearing it, but almost any really good recruit from this area is most likely going to get snapped up by an ACC school.

And whether the Observer wants to be called a regional paper or not, that is what it is. They sell it from the mountains to the beach - and if you thik the observer is bad - try reading the fucking Charleston paper's sports page. Ugh.

3. metro

yep, its bad but they cover the hell out of the local college sports (citadel, college of charleston)

4. HighPoint49er

HighPoint49er Full Access Member

1) If you don't attempt to recruit players from your area, many ask (including the media) why you aren't talking to them. Charlotte has coveted KC Rivers since he was about 12. Will he get him? Probably not but we have to recruit him and occasionally you do get lucky.

2) Charlotte has recruited nationally for years, they love going to the Chicago/Washington/New Jersey areas to recruit. Why? Because the 49ers get lots of coverage in those areas. Why do we schedule Indiana and George Washington, to have players in those areas know about you. There is a hidden motive to scheduling sometimes. They are better known in Chicagoland than they are in Raleigh/Durham, that fact comes from Bobby Lutz himself.

5. HighPoint49er

We can talk about coverage this way too, the Winston-Salem Journal sent a staff reporter to follow Appalachian State when they played Hawaii for the first football game this season.

6. ezy ryder

ezy ryder =o&o>

Both ways work to get more interest and coverage. A good team generates interest and being an alumni makes you interested. I'd rather it come from a better team, but am willing to settle for getting it through more alumni.

7. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

Yes, they do because that is their niche - most of their subscribers also get the Charlotte or Columbia paper as well for the other teams.

8. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

please Lord no.

Not another 25,000 whiners running around.

9. metro

you must not mind it too much, you are in here trolling

10. HighPoint49er