1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Recent Memphis basketball newpaper coverage

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by HighPoint49er, Oct 5, 2003.

1. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

i'm still not understanding here. are you guys trying to get better coverage of the 49ers in the observer?

2. barry49s

barry49s Ain’t good for nothing

LarryD, I think I see where you are going with this. You think they should take the diplomatic approach. Trust me they have tried.

If memory serves me correct, Lefty has had lunch with mikeP. MikeP blew smoke up Lefty's ass while promising better coverage.
    It didn't happen.

Real has come to the defense of the Observer more times than Arnold Schwarzenegger has groped women. He has noted several times that the Observer is a corporate partner.

Sometimes diplomacy does not work.

I have always felt that the Observer staff thinks we are a joke. They throw us some corporate dollars to try and shut us up. Probably a nice little tax write off too.

Personally I don't care whether they write about us or not, because in today's world, I can get plenty of information from other sources on line. However, I feel it is crucial to keep the local talent at home and the Observer could be a great help in this department. Morrow and Rivers are prime examples.

3. HighPoint49er

HighPoint49er Full Access Member

Larry, it's been this way for over 25 years now. Personally, I feel the best coverage the 49ers ever received was way back when. Glenn Rollins was the beat reporter.

4. TheReal49er

TheReal49er Full Access Member

I was being diplomatic. I'm fair about anything and any writer. I was not casting stones. I think it's criminal what one writer with a direct line to coaches and prospects gets away with and I've told Mike, Langston and other reporters that to their faces and on the phone. In fact, we have very little chance of landing local stars and certainly would love any help. But, alas, I'm askling way too much.
    I have never backed away from them and I have applauded them, often.

5. HighPoint49er

HighPoint49er Full Access Member

Class in Session, Calipari hosts coaching clinic
    By Gary Parrish, Memphis Commercial Appeal
    October 6, 2003

Bobby Gross got the mailout the other day, then checked his schedule and saw it was clear.

So without hesitation, the Wynne (Ark.) High basketball coach formed a carpool with his assistant and middle school colleague and drove to Memphis on Sunday to take in the 2003 Tiger Coaching Clinic conducted by John Calipari.

For Gross and his friends, it was a no-brainer . . . even if it meant spending an offday an hour from home.

''Any time you have a chance to watch a guy who has been in the pros run a practice for a program the caliber of the University of Memphis's, then you should try to do it,'' Gross explained. ''Even if you just pick-up one drill that you can use, it's worth it.''

And that's pretty much the same reason about 150 coaches of all levels gave away a day of NFL football and instead spent the afternoon and early evening at the Memphis Athletic Ministries Sportsplex, which held its grand opening less than two months ago.

For $25, all involved got instruction from Calipari, Hamilton High's Ted Anderson and Bartlett High's Hubie Smith. Additionally, each received a shirt, a gym bag, some shorts, a barbecue dinner and the satisfaction of watching Tiger sophomore Rodney Carney dunk over transfer Simplice Njoya.

Actually, the jam was just an added bonus that preceded the instructional period and came in the lengthy practice that is allowed per NCAA regulations because of the U of M's Friday trip to Cancun, Mexico, for two exhibition games.

But Carney's facial got everybody excited, almost as much as Jammie Poole when he learned he won free shoes for his entire Melrose High girls team as part of a drawing.

''I was about to leave to go to church, and then Coach Cal called my name as I was walking out the door,'' said Poole, who is in his first year at Melrose and replacing Robert New man. ''It's unbelievable.''

The clinic was the first U of M event at the splendid, new MAM Sportsplex on Ball Road but probably not the last, considering Calipari - along with the likes of Staley Cates, Elliott Perry, Kyle Rote and Reggie Williams - is on the MAM Board of Directors.

Essentially, the facility offers inner-city, at-risk youths from surrounding neighborhoods a place to partake in organized sports as an alternative to running the streets.

So far, everybody involved calls the place a huge success. And MAM president Gib Vestal added that events like the one Calipari conducted only helps spread the word.

''We're trying to use sports as a tool to win kids,'' Vestal said. ''So if we have high-level events here where the kids can see the Memphis players and know that these things have taken place here, that helps.

''We hope he comes back every year.''

6. barry49s

Damn, I'd hate to see you on them when you were pissed.:chucks: :hammer: :beatup2: :behead: :boxing: :badass: :beatup: :chair: :smash: :teeth: :cool:

7. jimwilliams

jimwilliams Junior Member

We are actually very pleased with the amount of coverage that the Commercial Appeal gives the U of M....we are usually the number one story on game day. However, there are a few that do not like some of the editorials that are written.

BTW, how are you Highpoint?

8. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

how is it a newspaper's responsibility to help recruit high school kids to the local colleges?

i think it would be good if there were some weekly charlotte 49ers commentary by olson, the beat writer. not just the occassional mention or game column by sorensen or fowler.

that's not knowing resources or inclination issues though.

9. QueenCityHillbilly

QueenCityHillbilly Bitch, I Will Kill You

Why do you all act like the Observer owes you articles about your team? Their main focus is to make money, not lick ya'll ass. I don't see what the big deal is. Are you paying their beat writer?

10. barry49s

You tell me, the Observer steers them toward the ACC all the time.
    Do you really think a newspaper in Tallahasse, would not try and sway a guy toward Florida State?
    Do you not see, that what's good for Charlotte University is good for The Charlotte Observer? The key word there is Charlotte.