1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Reality Check

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by barry49s, Nov 28, 2003.

1. barry49s

barry49s Ain’t good for nothing

Good point, and I attribute that to expereince. We can't claim to be young anymore and should win games like that. I think that is one of the things that disappointed me about the GW game. We have veteran players, even without Withers, that should have found a way to win that game.

2. barry49s

Iron that may very well be it. His freshman year he showed flashes of mad dunks around the hole. He was unable to do that last year. This year Basden has been solid on offense when driving the lane. Sometimes a player comes back from an injury in the physical department but not mentally. Eddie is playing with confidence this year. Me likes that a lot.:D

3. barry49s

I hope it is sooner than later.

I would still like to see us establish an inside game with Mr. Withers. That is where I would go when we need a basket in one of those down to the wire CUSA slugfest. I like 3's, hell they count 1 more than 2, however count on teams to keep extending their defense as the year goes on, just like they did last year.

4. barry49s

I fear no man that looks like Eddie Munster and is shorter than Webster.
    :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

5. 49erpi

49erpi Full Access Member

My point was that they were protecting the BE and the National champs at home. In other words they were Syracuse officials. Home cooking, no doubt.

6. 49erpi

49erpi Full Access Member

Basden is much improved but he needs to stop shooting the 3. It is an aweful looking shot and it is no coincidence that he is never guarded out there.

We are still a 3 point shooting team so far this year. When we are hot we can beat anyone. (see syracuse)
    When we are off we will lose to anyone (see GW).
    That is a recipe for an up and down and ultimately disappointing year.

7. MKNiner

MKNiner Full Access Member

I don't believe that GW is a good indication. I firmly believe if we have Withers for that game we win.

We are heavily reliant on the 3 so far, but we're hitting hit, for now anyway. Withers has done well for us in the post and Iti isn't a scorer but he's a presence other teams must consider. If Demon can start hitting just a few we can keep the inside open for Withers, Clemmons and Iti to do some scoring.

8. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

Generally in games like that the visiting school brings the officials from its conference. I'll try to check where the refs from that game were from.

9. HighPoint49er

HighPoint49er Full Access Member

The officials were Tim Higgins, Jim Burr and Curtis Shaw. Higgins and Burr both ref ACC, Big East, C-USA and Big Ten games. Not sure who Curtis Shaw is. I doubt the crew was scheduled by C-USA though.

Higgins has never done us any favors but he's consistent.

10. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

Somebody in his crew did..... :D

C-USA admits referee made mistake
    By Jeffrey Shelman, Post staff reporter

The University of Cincinnati didn't get a victory, yet the Bearcats got Conference USA to acknowledge that its officials made a mistake.

After reviewing the videotape of last Thursday's UC-North Carolina Charlotte game, Conference USA administrators and Dale Kelley, the league's director of officials, said the crew of Tom O'Neill, Tim Higgins and Tom Rucker made a mistake when an inadvertent whistle was blown late in the game.

The whistle, blown with less than 17 seconds left, wiped out a potential game-winning three-point basket by UC's Melvin Levett. When time was put back on the clock, the Bearcats were unable to score again and suffered their first loss of the season, 54-52, to the 49ers.

'It is apparent from the review that the ball was live after the missed one-and-one free throw attempt by UNC Charlotte, and that Cincinnati should have been allowed to continue play after the rebound,' the statement from the league said. 'However, an official blew an inadvertent whistle, stopping play.

'The conference has departed from its normal policy of not commenting pubicly on officiating matters because of this obvious lapse by the official, and the fact that this was not a judgment call. The conference regrets this error.'

C-USA assistant commissioner Brian Teter would not disclose which official blew the inadvertent whistle.

'We're not going to disclose any more information,' Teter said. 'The league is dealing with it internally. It was an honest mistake, but it was a little more magnified because it was on national television.'

Replays of the free throw attempted by UNC Charlotte's Diego Guevara clearly showed Rucker signaling a one-and-one free throw. Teter said any discipline from the conference would not be made public.

UC athletic director Bob Goin said he was told O'Neill blew the whistle.

'I don't know this man, but it doesn't mean that he doesn't take care of his responsibilities most of the time,' Goin said. 'But he failed to carry out his responsibilities at that particular time.'

Goin was glad to see league officials acknowledge a mistake had been made.

'I'm at least pleased they didn't try to hide behind a mistake,' Goin said. 'It doesn't change the results, but I'm certainly happy they went public and didn't hide behind it.

'The guy just messed up . . . I'm happy they're stand-up people.'

UC coach Bob Huggins, who was clearly upset with the call, did not want to comment on the league's statement, as coaches are forbidden to publicly criticize officials.

'I don't know what I can say without getting in trouble,' Huggins said. 'So I better not say anything.'

HORTON DOESN'T PRACTICE - UC point guard Michael Horton, who didn't dress in Saturday's victory over Oklahoma, did not practice Monday because of the sprained ankle he suffered in the loss to the 49ers.

On Friday, Horton was listed as probable for the game with the Sooners. However, he opted not to dress for the game.

With freshman guard Steve Logan playing better, Huggins isn't too concerned with whether Horton is ready to go or not.

'If I was (Horton), I'd want to get back right away,' Huggins said. 'The longer he sits there, the better Logan gets.

'If he thinks he can come back (to practice) on Wednesday and play Thursday, he's wrong. It doesn't work like that here. If you don't practice, you don't play.'

Horton went through a few selected drills on Monday, but spent most of his time riding a stationary bike.

Publication date: 01-19-99

I love google.....