1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

question, home theater

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by gridfaniker, Dec 4, 2003.

1. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

having trouble getting VCR connected to my home theater. I bought the VCR separate and it came with a audio-video cord (red, white, yellow). Couple questions. I know the L-R audio needs to go from the VCR to the receiver. Where does the video go: does it have to connect from the VCR to the TV or can I run it through the DVD (which is connected by component video cable to the TV)? Also, if I do need to connect the video cord from the VCR to the TV, can I strip it away from the audio-video cord or do I have to buy a separate video cord?

2. y2b

y2b King of QC

Easiest way I know

Right and Left Audio output from the VCR should go to your stereo Video 2 input. The Video from the VCR's output can go straight to the TV's Video 2 input also.

You can run from the output from your cable box or DirecTV receiver to the input of the VCR, or just connect the coax. Most have 2 outputs, so one can go to the VCR, and the other goes to Video 1.

Some stereos give you input & output for video as well. Does yours have that?

3. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

thanks. I'll go with option 1. I was hoping I wouldn't have to move the fucking TV again.

4. VOR

VOR OnlyU CanPreventRelection

you can strip the video cable off it has zip insulation. but damn if it's that cheap why don't you buy a good shielded one. Your video signal can't go through the dvd, a better solution would be to get a switch box and connect the dvd and vcr to it and switch and switch them there.

5. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

I'm gonna. Just need something to tide me over until I get back to Rochester. If I asked the guy down at Radio Shak for a shielded video cable, his head would explode.

6. Bootay

Bootay Poppycock

You guys are nuts.

Get an AV receiver. You plug EVERYTHING into the receiver (audio and video) and then the outputs from that go to your TV/Speakers. You then use the receiver to switch sources (audio and video). Keeps cabling and such to a minimum, lets you do that whole Home Theater thing with Dolby Digital sound and the like.

Most older receivers do NOT support video conversion, FYI. Meaning that if you input a composite signal, it won't send that signal out via the component or SVideo cables to your TV. Most newer (the last year or very pricey models from earlier years) receivers WILL do the upconversion so you can have ONLY SVideo or Component to your TV regardless of the source. Great for those people holding on to that antiquated VCR technology... :)

7. Boo

Boo Cornholio

your receiver doesn't have video in/out?

8. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

Yes. I just bought the system a week ago but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to hook the VCR up to the receiver. The guy at circuit city told me what y2 suggested: Right and Left Audio output from the VCR should go to your stereo Video 2 input. The Video from the VCR's output can go straight to the TV's Video 2 input also. I was just hoping there was a way I could hook the VCR directly to the receiver. The only reason I'm holding on the antiquated VCR technology is because we have a boatload of kids movies on tape that I'm not really interested in replacing with DVD.

9. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Stinky

Here's your problem. Get rid of the damn kids. Nothing but trouble, I tell ya.

10. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

As the inimitable NytDreamer would say: "Werd"