1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Preseason Panthers vs Giants thread

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by SilverSurfer, Aug 13, 2011.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Definitely need more efficiency at QB. Newton had some big positives, and Clausen looks accurate, but neither were efficient.

Line play was sloppy on O, things are still crisping up overall. Gotta be better, more consistent on both OL and O in general. Still, the one thing promised that Davidson could never provide, even with good line play, was the screen ball. Good screens to our various backs, and you could count the Pilares play as a screen for the TD. I have no doubt that there's a TE screen or two in our future too. And, I'd have to go back and look but I'd guess that we had other options if the screens broke down. I think all four of our backs, and Fiammetta, are capable receivers, so it'll be nice to see that usage more as well.

the first screen play, for instance, we got 16 yards from DW despite up to three missed blocks in space. I think all 5 possible rostered players can do something in space, something they needed more of.

Barnidge had a good day. Broken tackles, some upfield play, and he did well on ST. He still has to work on blocking and getting low, and he wasn't good blocking on ST either from what I saw, but he's a guy who got downfield and made ST tackles (vital in Punt team to have a guy or two with size that can tackle, for your line). I've been waiting for the hype to show results with this guy but it has.

Pilares obviously came on late, he's not a good returner right now but he's got a lot to offer us.

Would've been nice to see the Edwards TD that could've been. I see some statements about his speed - he's not fast. He never has been. He's a 4.55 guy I think. He might be able to kick it into another gear but that's about all I've seen him bring so far, is what he'd brought tonight. Goodson too - he has some burst but not a lot of great speed. That can be OK, PR and to a point now KR as well will be starting, stopping, not as much the Michael Bates hit a seam deal.

Defense? I like what I see. Swarming to the ball, lots of hits, not that many mistakes. DL was quick off the snap, all our DTs have the ability to get off the ball, impact the guard, and redirect as needed. Irvin showed some good shedding. Neblett was a good backup NT. Some odd names out there on the D front I didn't recognize quickly. Funny to see an oafish player wearing #90.

We have five good safeties. We're covered there. CB, I see more from some of the backups than I expected, McClain/Stanford might be fighting for a job but both are worth it. Depends on what a CJ Wilson costs if he's not a top 3 guy. Burney is cheaper and seems to be more physical.

I like Gaither at MLB, not as much at SLB. Thomas Williams is an interesting backup. I think we're about full up at LB, though. Senn might take up one of those spots, odd since I assumed Jason Williams would step up if anyone. Senn makes sense - he was a ST addition later in 2009 that really made a difference.

Things I didn't get a great feel for, yet:
    Bernadeau, Robinson (I saw him sucking wind in the huddle, unsurprising), CJ Davis
    McClain's run defense
    whether Olsen's blocking at all
    getting a better look at the route patterns, formation shifts to compare to the work I did in the offseason

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. Laceration

Laceration Full Access Member

I just got in from the game. I like the new-look Panthers. Rivera seems so blue-collar with that red flag hanging out of his back pocket. It is obvious that this is his team. He has also put together a very nice staff. They have done a marvelous job with these young guys in a very short period of time.

Clausen looked good. Too bad on the interception. I don't really care that Williams didn't help him out with a quicker look back for the ball, he can't be throwing that pass. He also could have made a few more plays. One thing though. He had no business running on 3rd and long. You have to pick up the first there and he had no chance running it. Other than that he looked fairly comfortable leading the team.

Cam was OK. He had some nice passes, but he has not figured out how to read through his progressions. If he can't make a big play with his first read, it drops off pretty quick for him. He was fairly conservative too. Which is OK. The second pass in the end zone was pretty bad on the no-call. Looked like he was mugged to me.

The running game!!

We had some rookie DE's get a lot of playing time. The DB's looked better than I thought they would.

One thing I liked; the new kickoff rules seemed to work. I was surprised to see that there will still be plays on the kickoffs. Guys were taking the ball out of the endzone 7 yards deep and making some yardage. It seemed like Mare was told not to kick it out the first two kickoffs so that they could practice the coverage. When he decided to kick it long there was a clear advantage for us.

The defense hung tough. Once again, BZ to the young defensive players. They played smart and with an attitude. I really think Kendrick Burney has a chance to make this team.

I think Jeremy Shockey may wind up expendable. He and Oleson are similar types with the nod going to Oleson. Barnidge brings more size and strength and then you have Hartsock to play the H-back role.

It was fun to shut up the many Giants fans and watch some competitive football being played by the home team. Rivera is off to a good start.

3. dig-it

dig-it Wait'n On That Post Rookie Deal

I noticed a few drops on Newton`s passes. Hopefully he`ll develop more touch and it looked as if Clausen was thinking he was still at practice. Anderson looked the part of a veteran compared to the other two.
    I thought they were going to let Burney return kicks/punts?
    Fua looked good on the pressure up the middle and #46 was in the backfield getting pressure. Overall I thought the defense did better than expected.

4. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

[​IMG]

5. The Batman

The Batman Full Access Member

[​IMG]

6. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Son of Anarchy

Wow, we won!! Can't wait to see what happens we're playing everybody.

8. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I have never been a fan of drafting Newton #1 overall but I will admit he helped his case with me. The thing that I was impressed with was that he was looking to make throws almost every time he dropped back. He was not looking to run. He has a cannon for an arm and is not afraid to throw the ball in a tight spot. He and a healthy Steve Smith might do very well. He does need to work on his accuracy though, he missed Edwards on that touchdown......

9. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

That was a lot better than I expected.

Well, not Cam, but just about everything else. Cam was about what I expected after hearing all the reports on his accuracy.

But considering the number of guys missing and the amount of time the staff had with the players, it was impressive.

Will repeat: Olsen was a great move, it looks like he's going to shine here.

Agree that our LB depth seems outstanding. Gaither was a good pickup.

Not so bright spot: Gross getting his ass handed to him.

It will be nice looking forward to gameday again.

10. rake

rake Need one of these

don't know how many more wins there will be but judging by last night the panthers are going to be a LOT more fun to watch for casual fans like myself
    there is so much more intensity and drive evident on this team and that nasty funk of concession and resignation is long gone

some specific observations:

If O-line could only pblk like they rblk maybe newton (or pickle) would be able to squeeze in one or two more reads. I watched TB/KC and Freeman had all friggin night back there

love the poise and swagger of newton and the velocity he gets on the ball with seemingly so little effort. With some cleaned up mechanics i could see him being discussed as elite passer potential

jimmy still sucks. His ceiling (that he may never reach) is probably slightly above average and that sucks for him (AND us) How many picks and sacks will we all have to witness the kid suffer before he is simply attached to the clipboard. JUST START THE CAM and see where he can take us. MUCH higher ceiling with cam

somebody please teach Goodson how to protect the damn football

the young WRs look pretty good . .. especially excited about the polaris missile and the more confident edwards

with the exception of a couple of plays the young DTs looked good. Especially like the quickness of the rookies. Even our backup LBs looked like starters to me and McClain and Pugh looked solid

Rivera is already my favorite panthers coach. also like what Chud mcD and Murphy are up to. Improvement can be seen in all three phases

the panthers TEs are flawless and the most talented TE corps in the history of the fuckin NFL!!! :headbang: