1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Post-draft thoughts

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by magnus, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

1. 9/11
    2. My grandfather's death
    3. Fordham catching a flare vs. Buffalo

2. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    And while Beason only started two years (the most storied Miami guys started 3, even 4), and is only a JR< he still showed that leadership and instinct. A junior that mentally developed is kinda rare, you usually see guys like that in the realm of "damn, this guy might have to sit a year." He's going to be really young still, once

Initially, yes, his pouting and his not starting, they could be a problem. The way Key has been here, I have a hard time believing they're going to deal with much bullshit out of Jarrett. I do believe his pouting is partially the above - not starting, and knowing he won't be an instant millionaire. He could've gone in the top 15 and barely made the top 50.

Yep. I hope Key stays around two years, because I think Jarrett's going to need a full 2 to get right. But when he gets right, I see Anquan Boldin, and he mentions loving Fitzgerald. I'll take either one he wants to give, of course.

Exeter! Our first Brit and our first drafted pseudo-latino in one draft.

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

except Fordham blows, and Kalil might be our best range blocker past Wahle.

Specifically, on a stretch play? to let an end try to get upfield a little and let Gross wall him, while Kalil seeks out a pursuing linebacker? nice.

Was hoping that some of that fun Pat crap would make it to the table under Davidson. Of course, if Kalil starts, which is entirely possible, this never happens, which is fine.

4. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

Why bother with drafting a safety when, as noted, the value's not there? Honestly, other than a few (Landry, Meriweather, Nelson, Griffin), who could have come in and made an impact? We tried a 1st rounder at SS in 2005. That lasted all of one quarter. Perhaps that spoke more to Fox's impatience than TD's ineptitude (although Fox is patient with almost everything).

I don't see Fox looking to get that resolved through the draft. It might continue to be a year-to-year thing. Who knows. As long as we stay near the top-5 in total D, can't really complain. Our safeties were the last thing I would point to after 2006 and say "that's why we were 8-8."

And Shaun Williams (along with a long cast of misfits) are still out there, with their phones on high and vib. :biker:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  5. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

I fully expect to see Jarrett start his career at gunner. Foxy knows how to work these guys.

6. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Yeah, the trade down was worth it. We apparently liked Beason more than the remaining safeties anyway, if we would've taken him at 14.

Of course, for all the value we got, I guarantee not a soul would've complained if we had reached for a safety. Not a one.

Minter going will let us get a free agent. The other guy, probably at SS, will be the young guy. SO for another year we suck, and hope.

7. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

maybe. i still wouldn't put it completely past us to re-sign Carter if Key goes next year. Whether Robinson is that good a receiver? Dunno. I like his writeups. I have no idea what he'll do.

8. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

They had some unfortunate moments, but most happened because of Branch and The Preacher Man. Williams was solid. Even though the team basically told him he wasn't coming back, I wouldn't mind him for another year. Either way, it will be a bit of a patchwork situation, which is fine as long as those guys aren't screwing up.

Minter, Veteran Free Agent X, and Cooper will probably be our top 3.

9. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

Coop started 12 games in 2005, for a stout defense. He can ball.

10. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

I do like Cooper. He came on to SF a little late and couldn't get much playing time, but I'll be happy with him as a back-up. He can step in and be solid if we need him to.