1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Phillip Rivers

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by CFBall, Jan 24, 2004.

1. smashmouth5

smashmouth5 Fly Eagles Fly

Okay then...Rivers to the Dolphins. That will really get Dan comparisons going.

2. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

i think i've said all along...phillip rivers is no danny wuerffel.

he will do fine at the next level.

3. rake

rake Need one of these

I think he will "eventually" be a solid NFL starter, and if comparison is necessary then here are the two words that I've heard the most –

BERNIE KOSAR

4. Piper

Piper phishin member

I think the Kosar comparisons are apt. Similar release, similarly arm. Rivers is probably a little more mobile (fast he ain't, but Kosar was SLOW and CLUMSY), a little bigger.

I never said he wouldn't have success at the next level. But he is a project that should take some developing. I still can't see a team putting a first into him. A second or third? Sure. Probably the best thing for him.

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    He's a good prospect. But he's not top tier, and no way he's outgunning Manning, Losman, Roethlisberger.

I'm just waiting for someone to compare him to Favre, since obviously Elway was just keeping his legacy warm for Fasani.

6. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

:laugh1:

our TBR experts read the same thing we all read and its apparent he is in the late 2d or early 3rd with Most other experts as well but as i see it he is going to make a great pro and over the next few months could creep up to a high 2 rounder! IMO!!

draft Rivers

7. mustang9

mustang9 Junior Member

first Rivers is the man and is the best QB in the draft although he will not be taken first...talkin bout release???"Rivers' isn't terribly slow, but it's far from lightning fast"...well you are the only one who thinks so cause all you ever heard all year long was how quick his release was, ill go with the experts on this one!...Not consistent???...he was the national leader in completion percentage (.720)...looks pretty good to me!...not physically large???? Rivers is 6'5 236 lbs, that is bigger than a good bit of the top NFL qb's...not to mention like someone said already he can bench 400 plus lbs, thats pretty dang big!!!... questioning his durability??? he started every game of his career...how much more durable do you need to be??? His stats were also better than the other Qb's in the draft but everyone ignores that detail...oh well he hopefully will oneday "prove" that he is a GREAT qb!!!!

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    >>first Rivers is the man and is the best QB in the draft although he will not be taken first

This is why I don't sit there and argue with people whose entire investment into the topic is being a fan of another team.

1) I never questioned his durability.

>>the common is durability.

Meaning, after listing ways he's nothing like Marino, they're both still going to withstand injury. C'mon, if you're going to freaking come after what I'm saying understand it first.

2) release. Some have in fact called it very slow. Some disregard that and call it average.

I've never seen an unbiased analysis call his release "fast", "quick", or called it a tremendous asset. I would disagree with anyone who'd call it a tremendous disadvantage, but it's not by any means a positive either.

Of course, I'm sure you'd consider his arm the best in the draft, too. Even though I doubt you saw more than two games of Manning, nor any of Losman or Roethlisberger or Pickett or 4/5ths of the players in this draft.

And disregard that he doesn't have the above average velocity, arm strength (yes, arm strength and bench press are obviously very different things, you're not simply pushing the football to its target) nor control you'd want to see. Those things don't exist.

3) physical stature.
    I had him down as 6'3. 6'3 230 isn't 6'5, 250, which is the comparison being made. He's not a big pocket passer, and when you're talking Marino, you're talking huge pocket passer with a quick compact release. That isn't Rivers. Doesn't make him Jeff Garcia, but doesn't make his size a huge asset, either.

He's not elite. He's not the best QB in the draft. There are at least two guys in each category who are better than he is. The thing he has, of course, is career numbers and starts. The other guy like that was Ty Detmer, and we can go back to Ware and Klingler to other guys whose numbers didn't mean anything. Doesn't mean he can't succeed, just that the one huge asset he has above all others equates to nothing.

I appreciate your fanship. I'm willing for people who just want to say "fuck the experts, they get paid $75,000 a year to rate players without my fanbased bias" to stand on their words, and not argue with them. So don't bring this to me without some logic.

9. chris

chris Full Access Member

CFBall....

I'd quit trying to defend Rivers. I love the man and what he did at State but for some reason alotta folks want to see him fail.

10. rake

rake Need one of these

LOGIC? It’s damn near impossible to attach logic to intangibles and I think that is the main strength that Rivers brings to the table. Pardon the geeky comparison but magnus is like the Spock of TBR (with that crotchety Bones quality thrown in). He loves to point out when people are being “illogical” and not adhering to the strict laws of research and intense observation that he painstakingly puts into every loving post. For CF and anyone else who feels strongly about Homering up to a favorite player that you just plain like or get a feeling about, don’t let Mr. Spock rain on your parade! :tongue3:

GO RIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!