1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Peppers makes a clear statement

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Mr. Scot, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Odin

Odin Full Access Member

Yeah, but Peppers taking last year off was obvious to everyone who wasn't worshipping Pep due to his Tar Heel past. He was lazy, and he phoned in the season. This year, he stepped it up to up his value, but still was pretty much invisible all season.
    He's a good player when he wants to be, but he disappears WAY to much to even consider giving a large contract.
    If we can get a 1 for him, it's a win for us.

2. Malapoo

Malapoo Full Access Member

It would carry more weight if we knew who the player was. I know press won't release that, but there are some players I wouldn't buy that comment from.

3. tharan000

tharan000 Full Access Member

So if Yas is correct, then everyone on here that watched Pepp all these years who say it looks like he is only going 50% effort were correct also. He does take plays off. He even that rep in college.

All that said, he is still an amazing general athlete and specimen. But he is pushing 30 and doesn't change a game like the old greats; LT or Reggie White. So don't think that the D can't be good without him, especially if he is replaced by a quality DT. I would rather see the pocket get collapsed consistently from the inside than from even an elite DE (making elite coin) making average 0.8sacks per game.

4. Elric

Elric Citizen of the Empire

Trade his ass imo.

5. Abusive

Abusive Fuck yo blanket

1. FWIW, I don't think there's a chance in hell we do a sign and trade unless the team, the agent, and the player all have a mutual understanding that the franchise tag does not guarantee JP a trade. If he can accept that, and will report to camp and ball for one more year, he has a great shot to set the table for 2010 (which, presumably, will drive high production). If they do a trade, I think some of the team's bargaining power is gone, so yes, a 2nd rounder seems right.

2. Lot of things to be determined. Delhomme was pure shit vs. Arizona, and was below average overall. His play, or the position in general, needs to be corrected. JD has been productive in years past. Will need that back, or another plan. The schedule, if played today, is much tougher. But it's not played until September. We'll see. For instance, the Jets in 2005--I envisioned that to be a tough battle. It was close early, but we won 30-3, with no running game. You can point to some of these games in the past few years and say, 'shit, what the fuck?'. 6-10 could happen, as could 10-6.

3. Always could happen, but I think the organization has a more steady hand that we give them credit for (whether some here like that or not). It took Cowher, as an example, 14 seasons to win a Super Bowl. He has losing records in 1998, 1999, 2003, and missed the playoffs two additional times with mediocre teams. I can see the frustration with Fox, but I just don't see the knee-jerk, 'well, sometimes you just need a change' approach working for this team.

4. Several layers of "maybe" here.

5. I can see HOF, and it sucks it might be with another team. Frankly, I could give a shit. I just want to see my team win Super Bowls. Peppers helps that effort, but shit, if it doesn't work out with him, it doesn't work out. Just be sure you continue to build on what you have and improve your talent and depth.

6. presidence99

presidence99 es lo que hay.

His agent has said that's his (Julius') preference.

7. Collin

Collin soap and water

Nothing personal, but that's fucking retarded. If you think the offense was bad last season without Jake, wait until you see the defense without Peppers. I already posted our 2008 sacks list. Peppers had 14.5, while Charles Johnson was next highest with 6. Get even less pressure on the quarterback and our questionable secondary is even more exposed. And that's without considering the effect of Peppers' absence on the run defense (although he wasn't as much of a factor there as he had been at LDE).

That means extremely little in this day and age. Most people who make it end up getting there based on reputation or hype. Gross got some good publicity during the season, so he's in. Also, his stats looked good in terms of sacks allowed, but someone who watched the games would have a lower opinion of his performance, for while he rarely allowed sacks, he often allowed pressure.

He is the leader of the defense, but he's nowhere near its best player. Peppers is head and shoulders above anyone else, despite the complaints of ignorant fans who expect him to have five sacks per game. Julius can and occasionally did things that no one else was capable of doing. And despite claims to the contrary, he never took a play off in seven seasons, at least not that I saw.

Whatever you're smoking must be some good shit. The Panthers probably only had even odds to make the playoffs next season due to the tougher schedule, and I don't see them being a Super Bowl contender in the next five seasons or more without Peppers.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  8. tharan000

Would you mind listing all the teams that presumably would be playing a 3-4 next year?

9. presidence99

presidence99 es lo que hay.

NE, NYJ, MIA, BAL, CLE, PIT, SD, DAL, SF, ARI.

possibilities depending on coach/GM preference: DEN, KC

10. tharan000

If Pepp is serious about going to a contender and a 3-4, which one of those teams has room for him capwise?

If he goes to DAL, I will hate him. But if he goes to PIT, I won't hate him.