1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

PC freezes during Boot into XP

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by UNCfever, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Savio

Savio Freelance Pimp

:apopcorn:

2. Bootay

Bootay Poppycock

Why don't we find out exactly where it freezes before people go making popcorn and such? If it locks up at the POST screens (BIOS counts memory and such), then it's hardware. If it locks after XP starts loading, it could be hardware or software. If it locks once XP is loaded, it could be hardware or software.

Since UNCFever noted that it locks up regularly but not always, and that it is locking up with a fresh install of XP with all updates and no other software, that STRONGLY indicates a hardware problem, but it's not guaranteed (could need a video driver update or something else in hardware that Windows Update doesn't provide).

Given that, I'd reset the BIOS to defaults, just for grins. Reseat cards and memory, reseat all power connections and cables, and then if that fails, remove everything non-essential and see if that becomes reliable (leave video, memory, HD, CPU, remove everything else (no power or cable connections if possible)). If that does it, add one thing at a time back in to the mix.

3. Geode

Geode Couz

I had something similar occur a few months back on a friend's pc. Turned out that the netword card was fried. Upon a clean install it booted fine but it wouldn't boot the second time.

Take everything out but the video card and start adding things back until you find what is causing it.

4. UNCfever

UNCfever Full Access Member

Thanks! I don't think it's hardware, during the past week I have reinstalled W2K and it worked fine, then did the complete format again and installed the XP Pro again with all of the updates. Same problem came back again, which is when I posted this. The point when it freezes is when you have the XP splash screen with the progress bar, when loading the OS. If it is going to freeze it is always when the bar scrolls from left to right the seventh time, and does this about 80-90% of the time.

I am going to try some of these things tonight, my guess would be the video drivers, which are current. Haven't set the Bios back to default yet though, I will try that first and then go from there.

5. DaveW

DaveW Super Moderator

try to boot in safe mode

6. UNCfever

That I can do everytime.

7. Savio

Savio Freelance Pimp

also....try updating the bios...

8. DaveW

DaveW Super Moderator

I say its a video driver problem

9. UNCfever

Will windows update take care of that, or is that something I need to go to the MB homepage and find?

10. DaveW

DaveW Super Moderator

no.....go to the mb homepage