1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Panthers willing to trade Jenkins

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Dukesuckgounc, Apr 7, 2007.

1. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

Maybe it's a contract dispute kept 'quiet'. Maybe he said raise or trade.

2. lde

lde Teddy and Gabriel

The story didnt say they were trying to dump him for anything. Rather, trade him for the right price. I wouldnt presume he's drinking again, but he has not shown up for offseason workouts, and apparently hasn't called either. Smitty and KJ let the team know they weren't coming, and assured them they had alternate workout plans. PFT said league sources thought Jenks would go soft once he got his contract, and they seem to be right to some extent. He had a rep for being very lazy in college.

So if a team gives us something good for him, I'm fine with that. I think Fox wants to get back to the attitude he came in here with. Jenks does not have that attitude. If not, then they were probably sure this would get picked up by the press. Maybe they're sending a message to Jenks.

BTW, Yas was the only one to correctly analyze Carr's attitude when he started looking around. He got the scoop on the signing, and now he's the only one with this. Good series of work for him

3. y2b

y2b King of QC

maybe we're going to run a 3-4

4. lde

lde Teddy and Gabriel

From Pas's Tip Sheet Notes. Nothing new, except the note that we didn’t think Jenks played that well last year. I couldn't decide myself.

<<The report by Pat Yasinkas of the Charlotte Observer, noting that the Carolina Panthers would unload three-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle Kris Jenkins for the right price, was a little surprising, but not overly so. Because of his reluctance to participate in the offseason training program, the six-year veteran has been a challenge for the Carolina staff.

His weight is a perennial problem and Jenkins, 27, missed nearly all of 2004 and 2005 with shoulder and knee injuries. That he was named to the Pro Bowl squad in 2006 was more than a mild surprise, since the Panthers' staff didn't feel he played that well. Carolina made a big investment last spring to sign unrestricted free-agent Maake Kemoeatu, and he's essentially the same type of player, a closed-area run-stuffer, that Jenkins is.

And the Panthers have solid depth at tackle, with young veterans such as Damione Lewis and Jordan Carstens. Sometimes a team just runs out of patience with a guy and decides that, if the offer is right, it will move him. It appears the Panthers have reached that point with Jenkins, who only a few years ago was regarded by many as the league's most dominant inside force.>>

5. Elric

Elric Citizen of the Empire

They should be looking instead to see if they can find some team to unload Kemoeatu on if they find someone stupid enough to take him. I've never seen a man his size get his ass kicked on the point of attack as much as he does. He was was money wasted imo...

6. kickazzz2000

kickazzz2000 CURRENTLY ON THE CAN

with what linebackers?

7. FAN01

FAN01 Full Access Member

We should trade Jenkins and Morgan for Lance Briggs.

I still think Jenkins is a really good player and would want a 1st or at least two 2nds for him.

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    wouldn't be easy, no. We'd need somebody. We really don't have anyone who could rush outside. I think Davis could have an outside chance to play out there coming off the corner, but it's a completely different idea taking on OTs directly, than taking them by surprise, so I don't expect it would be optimal.

Nobody else really has the size or speed to make anything happen outside; maybe Seward.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  9. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    To further this thought, if they've realized Morgan isn't in their long term future, the idea of two space eating DTs doesn't really make sense in a one-gap.

I took that as "not good enough to make the Pro Bowl". Which is what I said too. Not that they under-performed as in "disappointed in his play." Maybe to the idea that the Pro Bowl nod gives them leverage to get more value out of him than he's worth; the idea that a Pro Bowl would mask fears of whether he was "back" regardless of whether he is.

10. Dukesuckgounc

Dukesuckgounc Let's go Panthers

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sp...D31399EE7611E4F3862572B60011920F?OpenDocument

In a development that could have a direct impact on the Rams' first-round draft plans, the Carolina Panthers are putting defensive tackle Kris Jenkins on the trading block.

According to the Charlotte Observer, the Panthers are letting it be known that they will listen to trade offers for Jenkins, who in the past has been regarded as one of the NFL's premier run stuffers. The Rams are in desperate need of a big body on the interior of their defense, a defense that finished 31st in the league against the run last season.

The Rams have a lot of insight on Jenkins because Tony Softli, the Rams' vice president of player personnel, was the Panthers' director of college scouting in 2001 when Carolina selected Jenkins in the second round out of Maryland.

Jenkins made the Pro Bowl in 2002 and '03. But there are some concerns in Carolina that Jenkins has a weight problem. He's listed at 6-4, 340. In addition, the Panthers have plenty of depth on a defensive front that was aided by the revived play of former Ram Damione Lewis last season.