1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Panthers want to start Cam Newton, not excited about Anderson or Clausen

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by LarryD, Aug 2, 2011.

1. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

By Pat Yasinskas, ESPN.com

SPARTANBURG, S.C. -- Over the past two days, I’ve watched Carolina rookie quarterback Cam Newton go through two padded practices and one walkthrough. I’m not ready to declare he’s going to be the next great quarterback and I’m sure not ready to say he’s going to be a flop.

It’s simply way too early to tell. That opinion is shared by the coaching staff, front-office people and players I talked to Monday and Tuesday. They’ve seen some flashes of promise from Newton, but the Panthers don’t know for certain yet what they have.

But here’s what I do know with certainty. The people who make the big decisions on the coaching staff and in the front office came to camp hoping Newton would pick things up fairly quickly and could be the opening-day starter. With each passing day, there’s growing optimism that will happen.

Those same people would like nothing better than to hand Newton the ball when the regular season opens at Arizona in September. The feeling -- and the hope -- within the organization is that will happen if Newton continues to progress the way he has so far.

It makes total sense. Just watching Newton and second-year pro Jimmy Clausen practice, you could see a big difference. Newton brings dynamic elements -- a big arm and running ability. Clausen, even in his good times, isn’t anything close to spectacular. If Newton shows he clearly is not ready, the Panthers will fall back on Clausen for at least the short term.

But they’re hoping that doesn’t happen and they’ve worked hard to put Newton in a position where he won’t have to carry the team immediately and can have some instant success. The Panthers made it a point to keep running back DeAngelo Williams and the plan is to pair him with Jonathan Stewart. In 2009, those two each rushed for 1,110 yards.

They did it behind an offensive line that’s pretty similar to what it was in 2009 and the line should be far better than 2010 because right tackle Jeff Otah is returning after missing last season with an injury. The Panthers also brought in pass-catching tight ends Greg Olsen and Jeremy Shockey.

They kept veteran wide receiver Steve Smith after there was offseason speculation he might be traded. The Panthers also have high hopes for second-year receivers David Gettis, Brandon LaFell and Armanti Edwards.

They’re pretty much set everywhere on offense, except for quarterback. They’ve got Newton and Clausen and they just signed veteran Derek Anderson. If Anderson doesn’t excite you, that’s good. Signing Anderson was done for Newton’s benefit. The Panthers aren’t all that excited about Anderson either. They didn’t want to bring in someone who would be a threat to Newton.

They wanted a guy with a little experience to help Newton and Clausen learn coordinator Rob Chudzinski’s offense. Anderson played under Chudzinski in Cleveland and knows the system. In a best-case scenario, Anderson never even gets on the field.

In a best-case scenario, Newton has a decent training camp and preseason. That’s really all it’s going to take for him to earn the starting job. The Panthers want to give it to him. Newton just needs to step forward a bit and claim it.

2. The Special One

The Special One BALL HARD UNIVERSITY

Excellent, well said

3. Collin

Collin soap and water

Almost all quarterbacks taken #1 overall at least play in their first game, and the vast majority started it. JaMarcus Russell took the longest of any to finally get into a game.

4. the212

the212 It ain't what it was.

I'm like one of 3 guys out there that sees Jimmy as improved. I'm not contending Pat's point. As I pointed out in my blog, I also think Cam's getting the call week one, and I think we all agree on that.

But Clausen is not sitting back in the pocket during 7on7's acting like a spazz. In fact, with the intermediate game, he's been poised and accurate as hell. He's a good fit for a WCO, which we don't run.

Cam is getting too many reps, and too many dynamic play designs for Rivera not to have a good idea that he's got his guy.

5. the212

the212 It ain't what it was.

Thelt told me Russell and Newton were virtually the same guy.

You know: SEC. Black. Tall.

What else?

6. HeadCase

HeadCase dazed and confused

I can't contend with that.

7. presidence99

presidence99 es lo que hay.

Not to be mean but neither of them strike me as particularly intelligent.

8. Collin

Collin soap and water

Someone check Cam's trunk for codeine syrup.

9. Southern_Yankee

Southern_Yankee Full Access Member

They have each enjoyed Fred's company at the annual Bele Chere festival both individually and collectively?

10. docnolz

docnolz Corner of Stonewall& Mint

May not be the starter week one.. But I bet there will be a package of plays set up for Cam and he sees the field at some point. (WildCam??)