1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Panthers interested in WR Kevin Johnson?

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Savio, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

You are assuming Moose is a constant and that his play would have been the same here next year as it was this past year. I am not convinced of that. If he sucks next year in Chicago he may very well have sucked here too. Look at his numbers for the three years prior to last season.

2. chipshot

chipshot Full Access Member

There is almost no doubt in my mind that he won't do much in Chicago, but you never know.

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Beuerlein plays one year or plays no more years, at that point what mattered was how we replaced him. No matter how much Thelt tries to push this as some pre-emptive told-you-so about Moose, a player that's not here does not affect your team.

Which makes it irrelevant. So unless Thelt can come back with something better than "it's not just because you say it is", he can feel free to try a new thought, the old one's stale.

Moose probably won't have a Pro Bowl season in Chicago, which is why he's jumping up and down in glee waiting to proclaim our offseason a success regardless of anything we actually did. It's true - he won't have 14 TDs, and we probably won't have a highly ranked offense either.

4. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

First off, why are you assuming what people are thinking? And two, what the holy fucking hell does it matter? This is about us. Carolina f'ing Panthers. Not you defending a decision that the team and Muhammad mutually made. You need justification for what we did? The act is the justification. Now move on from it.

And no, him sucking there has nothing to do with his potential production here. If he gets hurt there, there's no parallelism that he gets hurt here. And this is even less relevant than the above.

5. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I am not trying to trash Moose but it is only logical that if you let a guy go because you do not think he can perform to the level that justifies his contract demands that you are either right or wrong based on what he does elsewhere.

If Moose puts up 1000 yards and 6 touchdowns in Chicago then he is probably playing as well as he played here. If he has 600 yards and two touchdowns then he probably reverted to the form he has shown for the last few years, excluding the second half of last season.

6. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

And it still won't have an effect on how this team plays or how the players we acquired played.

7. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I am talking about judging the decision we made. It wont change things but it will tell us if it was a mistake or not. You have to learn from your mistakes or you are doomed to repeat them. Hopefully we have learned and did not drop a good player in exchange for two bad ones.

Our history is full of times when we dropped decent to good players and replaced them with guys who dissappointed. Letting Kevin Green walk was a bad move. Letting Howard Griffith leave was another bad move. Letting Barrow walk was a bad move. On the other hand Dallas paid way too much for Rocket Ishmail and it was a good move to let him go. You can not ignore what a player does when he leaves and simply declare it a good move or a bad move based on what the team does in other areas.

8. Reznor

Reznor Sunspots

the money and moose wanting to be a #1 made the decision.

Wahle and Lucas came AFTER that decision was made. They were guys we signed because we had needs and cap space, we didn't just sign them because we let moose go.

Letting Beuerlein go was the right move, NO MATTER WHAT JEFF LEWIS DID...

Colbert and Smith stepping up is extremely more relevant to the Moose decision than Wahle and Lucas.

We offered Moose a deal, he didn't want it, he left. Get over it.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Pain, Inc.

I agree with Mags.

Moose may fall flat on his face in Chicago. Different team. Different players. Different system. Has nothing to do with what he may/may not have achieved in 2005 as a Panther. But that is all hypothetical now, and I hate hypotheticals.

We are where we are. Personally, I was surprised by the money Hurney gave Wahle and Lucas. Truthfully, though, I am not really bothered by that. We may have overpayed, and Hurney may even know it, but we got two players who: (A) are always healthy, and (B) are always productive.

Now, does that ensure the Panthers that there won't be a broken leg or torn ACL in Wahle's or Lucas' future? No. But they made damn sure that the two players thay acquired are coming into camp with no history of injury.

The point is they went out and invested heavily in two core players--both of whom came from playoff teams. High character men. Don't bitch. Don't moan. Don't have huge egos or an agenda. Just hard-hat types--both on the cusp of the all-pro level.

Personally, I would love nothing more than to see Moose suceed in Chicago. He was nothing but a class act for nine seasons in Carolina. The least I can do as a fan in reciprocate the class.

10. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

Well I don't know that he was all class. He did have that time with the guns and weed in his car and he had the whole D coy thing that time but all in all he was a pretty classy buy by NFL standards. I do not wish him to fall on his face but I just hate this mentality that some on here have that makes them believe that Moose would have been all pro next year if he had stayed here.