1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Panthers interested in WR Kevin Johnson?

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Savio, Mar 7, 2005.

1. y2b

y2b King of QC

oh snap!?

:wtf23:

2. PantherFanz

PantherFanz Go Panthers

So what I know comes from one of our members who used to be a Topcat and is close friends with Mrs. Moose. She was over at the Moose household a few days prior to Moose's being cut and of course they started talking about it. They had hired a real estate agent to scout out a few places and my friend asked Mushin if he was wanting to stay here or move. He said he wanted to stay in Charlotte, but that he felt that he could not take a secondary role on the team. And the kicker statement here is that he felt that Smith and his doctors were not being upfront with the organization and that his ankle may even keep him from playing this season because it has not heeled correctly. So eventually he would be the #1 guy, but only because Smith is unable to perform.

Now I believe every word of what my friend said as she has no reason to lie. Moose on the other hand could be sour grapes right now and looking for all excuses to make his decision look like the only one to make. I also know from the Smith side (we do a lot of charity work with him) that he probably has not talked to Moose or anyone else on the team very closely. He has taken himself out of the locker room altogether as according to him being around the other players only reminds him he cannot play.

So this is all hearsay and second hand conversations, but there could be something to all of this. At the very least there is a disconnect between the WR corps that does not exist with some of the other positions. Who knows, it just is what it is...

3. HeadCase

HeadCase dazed and confused

you need to drop a line to hurney and fox

4. El Bastardo

El Bastardo Who me?

I saw Steve at the Morrison YMCA soccer skills day with his kid this past weekend. I stood next to him for a while and kept looking to see if he was favoring his other foot. To me, and this is just an uneducated opinion, the dude was fine. He has no limp, I saw him chase down a couple of errant soccer balls with quick directional changes. No problems whatsoever.

On an unrelated note...dude's got a tight new burgundy Mercedes G500 "G Wagon". :bananalam

5. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

Letting Moose walk was the right move even if Smith does struggle with his injury. No way I wanted us to throw a 12 million dollar bonus at Moose. He was too old and too inconsistent for that kind of money.

6. blackcatfan

blackcatfan Full Access Member

I would take the Moose decision as evidence that the team is not going to destroy the cap. The history shows that they'll let players go rather than pay over their interpretation of "worth". See James and Grant.

7. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

We paid a lot for Wahle and Lucas but they are both fairly young and hitting the prime years of their careers. Moose was due to hit the wall and was inconsistent from year to year. It was a smart choice letting him walk. We are going to be a better team for it in the in long run.

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    It shows evidence they weren't able to get deals done with Grant, Muhammad, and lowballed James. I think giving out $25 mil in bonuses negates the idea they won't blow out the cap, and I don't expect that we'll see anything less than $6-7 mil to our first round pick. Whether Moose was the right move, will be determined by how well our spent money works out, and whether what we have at WR can step up.

9. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I think whether or not Moose plays well (maybe not to last year's level but better than most of his other years) for the next few years will be a big part of whether or not it was the right decision. Fox and Hurney are betting he wont do that and I tend to agree with them.

10. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Actually, what Moose does from here out becomes far less consequential. We have an idea of what he'd do here with a real QB, for one...we have less of an idea how Colbert will grow and I have a bit more uncertainty about how Smith will respond to being the passing focus after injury thanks to PF.