1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Panthers/Falcons game day thread~

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Wp28, Oct 16, 2011.

1. law1ng2b2

law1ng2b2 Full Access Member

Turnovers would suggest more than one. Except that the offense had only one until the six minute mark. And that one didn't lead to any points for the Falcons. At that point (6:06 left in the 4th), the defense had surrendered 24 points and six of ten third down conversions. They also failed to force a turnover. They played well in spots, but not near good enough over the course of the entire game.

I am not suggesting that the turnovers weren't a factor. They clearly were. The one before the half was enormous as we could have taken a lead into the locker room AND get the ball to start the 3rd quarter. The second pick was the final nail in the coffin of course.

If, as you suggest, the defense was wearing down in the last quarter, that is a big problem. It was already pointed out that we controlled the ball for two-thirds of the third quarter and held a pretty decent TOP advantage. I know that Turner can inflict punishment, but he had only 13 carries until your 17:17 mark remaining in the game. IMO, i don't think they got worn down. I think they were just getting beat.

this was a collective loss. all three phases contributed in one way or another.

2. Purrsy

Purrsy Full Access Member

It carries little weight. Lately, in the last year, you've really lost a lot of steam and credibility. With all of this bullshit about Cam Newton being the Panthers' problem, and the defense playing really well, it's hard to take anything seriously.

I've already told you why your stats are misleading, and I don't want to repeat it.

And I've already given my opinion on what I wanted the defense to do differently. I wanted to roll coverage to the TE, even if it means man up with the rest, including MC(edit Colston, not Colsten). I was disappointed that we went with zone coverage mostly on the last drive, and I think it hurt us. Especially with the TE. That being said, it wasn't as rotten - nearly as rotten as I had suspected, upon watching the second time around, on the TV instead of live.

But you're so dead wrong about the defense playing well, it's like you're just being an idiot for the sake of being argumentative. And you carrying on about Cam Newton being awful isn't old, it's discrediting everything you say.

Seriously...it's ruining you. Stop it. And stop saying the defense is playing doggone good. You sound like a lunatic.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  3. Purrsy

You have to cover. You have to. I understand blitzing can hide poor coverage sometimes, but they were picking up our blitzes with ease, and with new LBs as well as new DBs, we have to understand that we're just going to have to play football and cover sometimes, instead of keeping on banging on something that's not working at all. Our blitzes were completely ineffective.

4. rivalsrivals

rivalsrivals Banned From TBR

yup, cover is necessaary.

5. Collin

Collin soap and water

If my credibility carries little weight with you, it's only because you've become an embarrassment with Thelt-level comments in one thread after another. I do like the passion you have for the team, but you never knew much about football to begin with, and now you're just humiliating yourself repeatedly with stunningly absurd statements. Just last night you wrote: "the 34 has never been known for being better suited against the run." Even casual football fans know that the 3-4 generally has better success against the run than the 4-3. That's been true for ages.

I have never at any point said that Cam Newton has been "awful." What I have said is that his problems have obviously contributed to the losses, but whenever people actually do start to bash him, I'm the one pointing out that he's just a rookie and that these growing pains are to be expected. And for all the excuses you want to make, the reality is that I do have facts & statistics on my side backing up my position on how the defense played against Atlanta while you have none. I'm the one that's right, while you're the guy who comes on here and acts like a clown by losing your shit and ranting like you're Ronnie from Jersey Shore. Get a grip on yourself, man. You care about the team and the game, so you can be a benefit to this board, but you have to start being less obsessed with cock and more intelligent in your observations.

6. Purrsy

You've assigned blame to Cam Newton, while letting the defense off the hook.

You post foolish smilies when I say that Cam Newton is a pillar in what limited success we do have here. You've been adamantly against him from the outset, and I think you'd rather see him fail so you can be proven to be right, than to see him succeed and be proven wrong. Your word to most posters here carries a tremendous amount of weight, and that's why I want to throw you out of a window as much as I like you when you say retarded things like the 3-4 has been well known to be a better run defense than the 4-3 for ages, and that the defense has played pretty doggone good, and that our defense kept Atlanta in better check than most other defenses that played them this year.

You've developed a reputation here, and it's important to you and I get that. But what you say goes largely unchecked, because a. most are scared to take you on because you can outlast anyone in the battle of attrition with huge posts with split hair stats that can be misleading. And b. most who do take you on only insult you with lame long winded blowhard bullshit [edit-]and don't know enough about the game to hang.

Magnus is the only one who can routinely spank you, though you have spanked him too, and you guys are fucking GREAT for this board for that. But you cannot just go around saying untrue things like our defense is playing good without being corrected any more.

The stats were skewed vs. Atlanta because of TIME OF POSSESSION. You know this. But you ignore it, and purposely fail to mention that to support your love for McDermott.

You say we shouldn't have rolled our coverage to the Jimmy Graham during that game, because they were loaded with weapons when we weren't, that it somehow would've been ineffective.

And then what do the Falcons do? Roll coverage with Smith, bracket the fucker with over/unders and zone dog looks all fucking game long and frustrate our offense the whole second half.

Dude....you're killin' me over here. You are too smart to go around brazenly saying stupid shit. So please, just stop.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  7. Collin

Collin soap and water

Yeah, and Cam deserves some blame. He has turnover issues, and his inaccuracy is the main reason for the team's red zone struggles. As for the defense, they played like shit against Chicago, but against Atlanta I feel they did reasonably well.

Actually what you said was: "Good thing he's a small factor in why we're 1-5. Good thing he's one of the only pillars holding us up from a total meltdown." But Cam has been a bigger than "small" factor in the losses, and the team wouldn't be in total meltdown without him. He's played very well overall for a rookie, but he's still below average for an NFL quarterback.

Do you notice that you're the only one who says the 4-3 is better against the run, while multiple people have said that the 3-4 is obviously better? I don't know where this notion came from in your head, but it's long been held true that the 3-4 is better against the run. Teams sometimes switch to the 3-4 for precisely that reason. You're making yourself look like an ignorant hick by suggesting otherwise.

Let's be perfectly clear. No one here ever asks your opinion about football. Not ever. That's because in all your posts over the course of the years, you've shown a lot of admirable passion, but no real level of knowledge regarding the game. You're not qualified to argue with me, much less with such condescending criticism. Saying that the 4-3 is considered a better run defense than the 3-4 makes you look like a retard, but you still haven't spent the 30 seconds on Google necessary to realize that. This isn't about you having the courage to challenge me, it's about you not having the intelligence or self-reflection to challenge yourself.

8. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

9. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

10. finleye

finleye como say what?

the best thing about the 3-4, imo, is the added flexibility you have with it. You can create more uncertainty at the line of scrimmage with it, obviously. My question is, which is more difficult personel wise to build and develop, a 3-4 front 7 or a 4-3 front 7? Which are the most critical positions for each? Who from our group would transition well to the 3-4, and who would transition poorly?