1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

"Packman" is a complete dick

Discussion in 'SportsTalk' started by tenaciousD90, Sep 9, 2003.

1. sds70

sds70 'King Kong Ain't Got **** On Me!!!!!'

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, THE FABULOUS SPORTS BABE SHOW=PRIMETIME :confused: :) ? ? ?

When the 'new' WFNZ debuted in August 1997, the Sportsbabe was on for about 2 years or so before they switched to a local show (Ethan Horton & NBC6's Sports Director Chuck Howard . it was called the 'H' team). To me, Packman was a local version of 'the Babe' (aka Nancy Donallen). Each had their sidekick (Babe had the 'Sportsboy', Packman has Hayseed & QCB), each had a schtick (Pack's the good ole boy, Babe was the surrogate 'mama' who loved sports), each had their favorite team (Packman's SF Giants, the Babes Tampa Bay Bucs). The Babe short circuited her career with ESPNRADIO when she wrote that book 'Babe in Boyland' which burnt a lot of bridges back in Bristol (her career ended after a stop at ABC RADIO & SPORTS FAN RADIO NETWORK; She was fired the week before Super Bowl Week in Tampa a few years ago). I wonder where she is today :confused: ? ? ? ?

2. sds70

Beating the dead horse A-G-A-I-N [short version]:Within the Carolinas, Charlotte probably does have the best sportstalk station, with 850 THE BUZZ in Raleigh 2nd (sorry Mike ;) ) . . . . Still, if you listen to other shows in other markets, they rely less on 'schtick' like PRIMETIME does to draw listeners. I don't think WFAN's PM drivetime show has characters on there like 'Vinnie (The Obnoxious Yankees & Norte Dame Fan) from Long Island' or 'The Staten Island Bastard (S.I.B)' or 'The NOBODY BEATS THE WIZ WHINER LINE' to fill the show. Its just 2 guys talking sports, that's all :) !!!!!!!

3. metro

metro Charlotte49erfootballfan

Packman is #1 because of the demographics. There are thousands of uneducated redneck ACC and SEC sports fans that he caters to, and if you don't believe me, listen to the show. Hell, his most famous listener is "Mike from Gastonia" who is a UNC fan and did not go there. There are thousands of these types people, and thats why Packer is #1. It all because of the Wal Mart/ACC fan that is everywhere you look. All the college graduates, who actually pull for the school they attended, aren't listening.

4. solarte1969

solarte1969 ....

In defense of 850 in Raleigh....

We did not have a local morning show--Imus ran 6-10 am, then my show from 10-Noon. Then Rome from Noon-3pm, then local with Adam Gold from 3-6, then Morgan Patrick from 6-8.

MSP is a fantastic show. Gary, Jim & TC keep it lively, and mix in the rigth amount of sports with the other stuff. IMO, I think it's tough to be hardcore sports talk at 6am, so I have absolutely no problem with them straying from sports in the morning. I want to laugh and hear some sportstalk in the a.m. and not be knee deep in the numbers etc. That's just me, so if you disagree, that's fine.

As far as Packer's show, I am at work when he goes on the air, so I really don't have a chance to listen, and therefore make an informed opinion. Having never met him, I can't say I think he's a jerk, simply because I don't know him.

I will say this. When I worked at 850 in Raleigh, I was voted best sports host in the market in the radio topic. I was basically competing against the other guys at the station since we were the only sports talker in town. So I guess that made me the "Best Sports Radio Host on My Block."

Translation, if there is no competition, then how can there be fanfare over an award? If I were voted the BestSportscaster in Charlotte, well, that would mean a great deal to me because there are other people at other stations doing the same job I am.

Just my .02

5. Savio

Savio Freelance Pimp

Packer doesn't make his show what it is by himself. If he didn't have his guest, then he would just purely suck. He can't do it himself.

6. sds70

Re: In defense of 850 in Raleigh....

Mike: I don't have problems with the MSP the few times I do get to listen to the show (like today). Just me personally, if you have a good host(s), that will bring in the ratings. You should've been here when it was GerryV vs. Packman (yessssssss, Packman beat his chest when he had better Male 23-54 ratings than Vman, which was more time than not. But I still believe overall, Vman always had more listeners overall) and you could compare shows. When it came down to the future of the Hornets, Pack had no facts to back up his opinion that the NBA wouldn't let the Hornets go anywhere except for his lone NBA source. He thought that saying NO to the referendum would force Shinnridge to sell the team, which of course didn't happen . . . .

7. solarte1969

solarte1969 ....

SDS

last i heard, the Sports Babe (after being fired by WFAN in NY--her firing led to my time slot change from 1-3 pm to 10-Noon) took off and went to Hawaii. She hasn't been heard from since. She had a nice run though, gotta give her that. She knew NOTHING about sports, but she was able to land HUGE guests, and ask reasonable questions that her guests could run with.

8. metro

metro Charlotte49erfootballfan

sds, Pack was completely right about the Hornets and it was more than one source. He is not the reason this city turned on the team.

9. batgrafix

batgrafix hannle yo biddness

Sandy Penner, Steve Czaban, Matt Pinto - Mark Packer can't hold any of their JOCKS because they all knew sports and could talk about EVERYTHING, not just SEC Football.

WFNZ Started out strong, but then Lost Pinto, split up Penner and Packer, and fired Czaban -

I will give packer this; His show is MUCH more tolerable than Gerry V's CRAP! GOOD RIDDANCE!

I wish I had Digital Cable so I could watch Solarte's show again... But I hate Time Warner with a passion.

10. sds70

About the Hornets N-O-T leaving . . . . :saywhat: :saywhat: ? ? ? ? On the air, he always quoted his one NBA source he wouldn't name . . . . . . . . I'm not getting senile I think metro: He said the NBA wouldn't let them move, but the ended up in New Orleans . ;. . . He wasn't the main reason the city turned on the team, but he was adding fuel to the fire ;) . . . . . .