1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

"Packman" is a complete dick

Discussion in 'SportsTalk' started by tenaciousD90, Sep 9, 2003.

1. DaveW

DaveW Super Moderator

shut up..

2. Sleehrat Nation

Sleehrat Nation Full Access Member

I couldn't agree more. As has been said many times here, there are many of us who are dissatisfied with the Primetime show. Doesn't mean we still don't listen -- cuz there's nothing else on!!! Pack does a great job of bringing in guests, but in all reality, there is no real substantive sports being talked about on his show. Its all fluff and smack talking. Anyone can smack talk, you don't have to know anything about sports. Ahh, there's the rub. This is the whole reason why the show pulls in such good ratings, because he's catering to the large segment of casual sports fans who don't know much about the sports other than talking smack. I get more substance out of Gary Williams or Mike Solarte than I do from Packman. And his co-hosts have become nothing more than yes men or have decided to take opinions in order to become lightning rods for people calling into the whiner line. Do we really think that Larry Kennedy believes everything he says? Of course not, but it gets people fired up.

I'd love to see another sports show come on to compete, but the sad reality of it is that there aren't enough hardcore sports fans in this market that we make the show profitable. In the meantime, sports radio will continue to be influenced and driven by ignorant smack talkers.

3. batgrafix

batgrafix hannle yo biddness

At least he's cut down on the cliches -

Between the hedges
    I kid you not
    and all time classic
    get it all over yourself

he's #1 because there is nothing else. Damn, what I would give to have a real sportstalk radio show in Charlotte. I honestly could care less about the SEC, but I tolerated it... but EVERY DAY, ALL DAY LONG gets tiresome. There's more shit out there than SEC Football and the Tarheels.

I stopped getting it all over myself long ago.

4. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

:applause:

5. Bunky

Bunky .

make me.

6. QC REPRESENT

QC REPRESENT Full Access Member

Amen, Amen! Ever noticed how his show is all about promoting all of his southern fried turd tour, or his tv show. Pack may have lost weight but his head is fatter than ever! I still listen because there is nothing else also, just not every day. I agree that MSP gary williams gives me more coverage on the Panthers than PTWPM. and yes I did hear the interviews Pack, but they were sandwiched in between , you guessed it, southern fried football talk. it seems thet since the state of SC has come on, its all college football talk. You would think we live in the middle of Alabama or something.
    PS. im so glad nobody has been thrown under the bus lately, but a lot of teams have "been punched right in the mouth".:D

7. Guest

Guest Full Access Member

I guess if you moved around alot or visited other cities, you would realize that both 610 shows are very strong and are in touch with the region. If you haven't heard other shows in other cities, then it is easy to complain.

I'd love to know what sports shows are better than MSP and PTWPM. Not a smart comment.....I'm just curious.

8. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

yes.

9. BigVito

BigVito Splitting Headache

I enjoy nearly all the ESPN and Sporting News Radio shows. I know they are national and not a direct analogy to PT or MSP but it's making me think real hard about sat radio. I would still listen to MSP but Packer would never get another listen.

I think I'm just tired of the schtick, Hayseed, the self promotion, the guest hosts that get weaker with the turning of each season, etc. To me it seems as if there isn't as much effort put into the show as there used to be. Maybe Packers growing media "empire" is the problem.

I remember when there used to be preproduced segs on the show, not counting the infamous Langston Wertz bits, that were fairly strong. To me, it seems like the quality of the show has gone down drastically from a production standpoint. Now it's almost like the guys come in and spend about 5 minutes planning the show then hit the air.

10. uncc86

uncc86 Full Access Member

Depending what I'm doing on a given day, I caught some of this guy thru the Internet (http://www.wccpfm.com/scott.htm) and from what I've heard, he has shown a desire & ability to talk about sports without the bullshit.

In addition, I used to live up in Detroit, they had an afternoon show very similar to the MSP. A sports geek originally from Philly & a Detroit newspaper sports columnist. They didn't simply discuss box scores......but "sports" drove their show.

For the record, I have no reasonable complaints about the MSP. They're at least worth tuning into every morning. IMO, they at least attempt to have reasonable sports conversation.

As far as I'm concerned, Packer's show is no different than "The Fabulous Sports Babe" show. Not sure, if that show ever made it to Charlotte, but it was ALL ABOUT HYPE AND SELF PROMOTION.

and before I forget :), I've heard this guy named Solarte on Charlotte radio occasionally. He's another good example of someone who simply likes to talk about sports.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2003