1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

"Packman" is a complete dick

Discussion in 'SportsTalk' started by tenaciousD90, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Full Access Member

His show is the #1 rated sporsts talk show in Charlotte. It is on an AM station with shitty reception and it dominates the sports radio market. So.....I'm not the only one who likes it.

Not to mention I grew up with 610's manager so I'm a little bias.

2. Ssstern

Ssstern Do Unto Other as You...

Riddle, Second that. Sometimes they get off on tangents that aren't that interesting but they seem to draw the names and have the relations iwith them to talk candidly. Ricky Prohel was on tonight. pretty good interview. What other station in town can say that....WBT ....NOT.

3. Village Idiot

Village Idiot cloud of dust

I listen all the time...........
    There's this one dude that calls in and thinks he's Jim Rome, tries to sound like him (he must be in love with him)..HEY DUDE!........YOU SUCK!
    The other guy is a regular, some sports writer or something like that. He aint even cut out for radio. Sound like he's a little SLOW if you know what I mean, and Packer backs him down all the time. YOU STINK DUDE!
    The whiner line is funny sometimes when they're cracking on teams/people that I dont like.
    I REALLY like it when people call in live and get smart with Packer or one of his YES MEN BUTT KISSERS. THEN I'm entertained, yep.

4. BigVito

BigVito Splitting Headache

Ya know, I was thinking about this today as I turned off WFNZ and plugged in a CD (Warren Zevon was the man, btw). Why is Packer #1?

There are basically 2 sports talk shows in Charlotte now in the drive time slots, Packer and the MSP. I would guess they are #1 and #2 due to that as much as anything. There just aren't any options. It's kinda like me being the best looking fat guy in my office. I'm the only fat guy there. Well, there is another one but he's butt ugly.

Packs rating books are good but what would they be like if he put a quality show on everyday. He would probably be able to post numbers that would make even the most jaded media mogul smile and his ad rates would be the envy of the town.
    Then again, he's #1 so why even try.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2003
  5. sds70

sds70 'King Kong Ain't Got **** On Me!!!!!'

Yess, Packman has the #1 sportstalk show in Charlotte (as voted on by the folks at CREATIVE LOAFING) . . . And in other news, Saddam Hussein barely won the last election in Iraq ;) . . . .

My beef with Packman's show (short version): I like the cohost's on the show, Hayseed & QCB's schtick stopped being funny 2 years ago, there are much better local sportstalk shows in other markets compared to PRIMETIME (sorry, I'm not going to put much endorsment behind Jim Nantz comment at WFNZ.com that its the best sportstalk show in the country :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ; ) , the WHINER LINE should be cancelled (the 'Your team sucks, my team rules!!!' rants got old in 1998), Pack's baseball knowledge is no more than Dodgers/Giants, and was wrong on the Hornets not leaving town (can't forget about that one :D :D !!!!!!). Funny, I haven't heard him complain a whole lot about having Bob Johnson build his own arena since the Bobcats came to town . . . I wonder why?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2003
  6. uncc86

uncc86 Full Access Member

Gotta admire your willingness to admit that why you are biased.

However, sports are secondary on Packer's show. He makes weak attempts at entertaining the male listening audience and tries to use sports as the subject matter to provide the entertainment.

I guess I'm just bitter because I couldn't pull off something like the "Southern Fried Football Tour". Correct me if I'm wrong, as I understand it, I give him 2 tickets that I bought and he gives me some food & drink that someone bought for him. Boy, what a bargin, my $100.00 in tickets that I gave him gets me some Bubbas BBQ, a Bojangles biscuit, some piss water beer and maybe a few samples of Old Spice deodorant. Please excuse me if I don't get some all over me.

Someone please wake me if his ego ever gets put out of its misery.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2003
  7. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

if you think packman is bad, you haven't heard much sports talk radio around the country that is in the "guy-talk" format.

8. sds70

sds70 'King Kong Ain't Got **** On Me!!!!!'

Don't forget about the BIG UNIT; U get to go to the game in style in their big ass RV :) . . . . . I think DaveW took a trip on the BIG UNIT last year (or the year before) for the Alabama/UCLA game . . .

9. DaveW

DaveW Super Moderator

Yes, I went on the Southern Fried Football Tour courtesy of Mark Packer. Mark had an extra ticket and actually invited me to go. I had only meet him in person once before but emailed him a few times. He knew i was a big Alabama fan and knew my way around Tuscaloosa. Mark and I went to "Dreamland" and he bought about $300 worth of ribs to go with the tons of other food we already had. The "Big Unit" was a pretty rough ride al the way to Tuscaloosa but no one cared since we started drinking about 9 or 10 a.m. and everyone pretty much passed out on the way home.

Pack and his show has changed so much since then. Every time I listen he is talking shit about some local person or dogging someone and patting himself on the back for being No.1. Being No.1 in this market is nothing to brag about. He SHOULD BE THERE! Look who he going against. I would be embarrased if I had a show that wasnt No1 in this area.

10. Bunky

Bunky .

you truly are a fudge packer. fag.