1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Origins of Lucifer and other Xtian Rituals

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality Forum' started by Cornflake_Girl8, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Cornflake_Girl8

Cornflake_Girl8 Hangin w/t Raisin Girls

I hope you're not being sarcastic...=(

Yeah, the bible, like all religious texts, can have a dozen different meanings for one sentence.

2. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

I'm not. Seriously. My own personal search is for truth, and as I'm given frequent opportunities to teach, both at my church and online, I want to be 100% accurate. If I'm saying something wrong, I DEFINITELY want someone to point it out to me so I get it right. I'm thankful to anyone who holds me accountable.

A dozen different applications, sure, but usually only one true meaning. At least, as far as the Bible's concerned anyway.

3. Cornflake_Girl8

:invasion:

4. ECILAM

ECILAM Celebrate Diversity

Nah. Hasbeens is good people. A fine example of religious tolerance in action. Seriously.

5. jbghostrat

jbghostrat Full Access Member

i'm very confused. what part about satan were you wrong about and what part was cornflakes right about?

6. hasbeen99

I had always thought that Satan was once called Lucifer, and God changed his name when he rebelled. The passage I based that on was Isaiah 14:12, but it turns out that verse is talking about an evil Babylonian king, not Satan. I looked it up, and she was right. I was wrong. Lucifer is not Satan, and Satan was never Lucifer, according to the Bible.

7. Reznor

Reznor Sunspots

Jesus Christ, that's a lot of info. Much better than the lame attempts by some to stir up shit without any sources.

8. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

So if Lucifer is really the name of a long dead Babylonian King then those who worship Satan do not use the name Lucifer to refer to him?

I looked up that verse and it is pretty vague I could see how it might be interpretted either way.

9. hasbeen99

I just checked over a dozen different translations, and the only version that uses the term "Lucifer" is the KJV and the NKJV, which are dual translations -- from Hebrew to Latin to English. None of the direct translations from Hebrew to English use that term.

According to www.searchgodsword.com, the original Hebrew word transliterated is "Heylel", and is primarily referring to the Babylonian king. It has been used as a parallel description, according to that site, and I agree the parallel fits Satan's story, but I've seen nothing concrete to indicate that Lucifer (or any derivative thereof) was Satan's given name from God, as far as the Bible is concerned anyway. Other related texts (the Torah or Talmud) may delve deeper into that parallel, but if so, I'm not aware of it.

As far as what actual Satan worshipers call him, I have no idea. :huh:

10. Cornflake_Girl8

Thelt,

Lucifer is not THEE name for Satan. Lucifer is actually a Roman name for "morning star" or the "dawn".
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    hasbeen,

I've read so many contradicting sources on the actual name of that Babylonian king. I read once that his name was Helel and that's why "Hell" is named as such.
    ~~~~~~~~
    You two might get a kick out of reading this sarcastic editorial. =)
    http://www.rotten.com/library/religion/satan/