1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

One more time, gbn draft excersize

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Piper, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Piper

Piper phishin member

C-L-E-M-E-N-S.

A little small. Not much of an arm, but accurate. Good athlete. Consistent and efficeint and can throw on the run. Might turn into a Rich Gannon type.

2. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    we drafted one like that last year, eh

Either way, Collin: you would draft him ahead of Young and Cutler?
    I guess you really do think a lot of him. Good lord. I mean, I don't buy Cutler as a high 1st, but I did feel like he was a first before the hype.

3. McFly41

McFly41 Work Hard...PLAY HARDER!

:banginghe
    Shit, I was spelling it correctly before! I saw Collin had it as Clemmons and I changed it...damn Collin, damn him all to hell!

4. Collin

Collin soap and water

More that I don't think much of Cutler or Young. Cutler has read issues, inconsistent mechanics, and a tendency to throw off his back foot. Moreover, I think people are surprised to see that Clemens is pretty much the same size as Cutler, as Jay is just an inch taller. Clemens is far ahead of him in terms of reading and accuracy in my opinion, and his arm is adequate. People fall in love with arm strength too readily, which is presumably why Cutler gets all the hype, but arm strength really only needs to be adequate and anything above that provides diminishing returns. The most important thing is that a quarterback can identify which receiver will get open, then deliver the ball on time and accurately. I have no confidence that Cutler will do that on a consistent basis in the NFL, although he might. Then Clemens' injury doesn't bother me because he's been relatively healthy the rest of his career.

magnus, not me. I spelled it correctly.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  5. McFly41

McFly41 Work Hard...PLAY HARDER!

True, I pulled it from his quote in your post...DAMN MAGS it is then.:banned:

6. Piper

Piper phishin member

I'm more familar, being an SEC guy, with Cutler more than Clemons, so I don't want to dog Clemons. I don't think the ankle should be a concern either. I think he's got a chance, cause Oregon's Oline wasn't all that and yet he was productive.

I don't think Cutler has read or vision issues, he goes through his progressions well. It's the consitancy with mechanics and the throwing off the back foot too much. Consequently, he will throw several balls accurately between two defenders, and then he will sail a ball right to a safety for no apparent reason. I told you he reminded me of Jake, in both the good and bad ways.

7. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

That's not bad. Not bad at all.

8. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

The more I see of Vince Young, the less impressed I am. I say that having never watched him in a Longhorns uniform (other than highlight films). But from what I have seen, I think I'd take Jay Cutler, Brodie Croyle, and Drew Olsen as better long term prospects than Young.

It's funny, because I hear coaches saying they love Young's humility and demeanor in interviews, but in the public eye, he looks to me like he's been reading too much of his own press. I don't think he's another Vick, but I don't think he's Steve McNair or Donovan McNabb, either.

I could be very wrong about him, but I don't think so. I think he'll be a game breaking, big play QB with a very average career and a love/hate relationship with his fans.

9. Collin

Collin soap and water

Uhm ... no. Cutler is definitely overrated, but Croyle is ridiculously overrated. And as for Olsen, I liked him in college, but he shouldn't even be mentioned in this discussion. Cutler is the only I see as having a reasonable possibility of being a better pro than Young, and that's a pretty decent chance since both carry high bust potential, but I do think Young can be a solid NFL quarterback given enough development time. If he's put in the right offense and if he's given three years before asked to start and if he has a decent enough line in front of him, he can get the job done. Obviously those are a lot of qualifiers, which is why I wouldn't take him in the high first round, but his ceiling is higher than Cutler's while carrying roughly the same level of risk.

10. Clay

Clay Full Access Member

I think anybody named "Brodie" is inherently overrated