1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

One more time, gbn draft excersize

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Piper, Apr 20, 2006.

1. CelticCat

CelticCat ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

:blah:

2. hasbeen99

hasbeen99 Fighting the stereotype

27 - Davin Joseph, G, Oklahoma
    At worst, he's much-needed high quality depth. But he should seriously challenge for a starting spot in '07, if not this year. I was tempted to go with White (even though I don't like him), but drafted in this position he'll be expected to carry the team to an extent. Not as much as Stephen Davis was in '03, but enough that I don't think his character will hold up. I also considered Kiwanuka, but I didn't think the timing was right with Rucker or Wallace yet.

58 - Greg Blue, S, Georgia
    We have a band-aid at SS and a 32 year old FS. Blue can sit behind Williams and Minter for a year or two and be a special teams demon while Rod Perry gets him ready to start.

88 - Alan Zemaitis, CB, Penn State
    Future nickel to groom behind Howard for a year or two.

89 - Mark Anderson, DE, Alabama
    Good depth behind Rucker and a replacement for Rasmussen.

121 - Will Blackmon, KR/CB, Boston College
    Between Blackmon and Gamble, Smitty should never have to return another kick in his career. Blackmon should prove to be a top-tier kick returner, perhaps even an exceptional coverage man (Michael Bates, anyone?), and more than adequate dime back.

155 - Tim Day, TE, Oregon
    His profile reads like he's a block first, dump off receiver which is perfect for a Henning offense. With coaching, he should at least equal Mangum's blocking skills and offer a more consistent receiving target for Jake.

234 - Cedric Humes, RB, Virginia Tech
    Short yardage bruiser who should compete with Shelton.

237 - David Kirtman, FB, USC
    Overachieving Brad Hoover clone who paved the way for both Bush and White his senior year.

=====================================================

Bleah. Unless Joseph wins the starting RG job over Mathis, there's not much to get excited about other than Blackmon and Blue on special teams.

3. Piper

Piper phishin member

>> but he was definitely further along in his development than Young simply because he was in a hyper-passing offense.

Certainly, although the offense tended more toward the pass, but it's in essense the same offense as Alcorn State, a wide open shotgun attack that promintently featured quarterback draws. Vince Young ran it, as did Alex Smith, and McNair before him.

Stylistically, they are very similar. You are correct about the type of routes, and it's a big concern, but I don't know that's going to be a huge concern. These QBs seem to get drafted first on the physical and mental ability to make throws and complete throws, and the development second. And with Young, he has the physical ability, the mental ability is harder to measure because those throws aren't in his offense.

>>Young is definitely super-athletic, but I think Piper was saying that Young's playing style has very little in common with Vick's, and I would agree.

I think you made my point about Young completely. We agree on his prospects, I just think NFL teams often place development lower than upside, raw or no. That's why I think he will get drafted fairly high. Lots of risk, but I don't see much evidnece of them being risk adverse.

And I see at least as much risk with Cutler. Matt's clearly the safe choice, in that he comes nearer his ceiling.

4. CelticCat

CelticCat ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

I know a good Tennis Coach if you're still serious.