1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

once charlotte joins the a-10...

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by LarryD, Nov 6, 2003.

1. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

...can we just stop talking about "when will the 49ers get a football team"?

with the a-10 being a non-football conference, will the talk about football go away? what would make the 49ers pursue football as an a-10 member? if they said they wanted to play, would they have to switch conferences, or could they play as an independent?

2. HardHarry

HardHarry Rebel with a 401(k)

Doesnt UMass have a DII team?

:sagrin:

3. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

that's what i'm wondering.

would they compete at the d-II level?

i mean, the a-10 wouldn't frown upon charlotte devloping football would they? they wouldn't think that the 49ers are just making a play for a bigger conference.

4. sds70

sds70 'King Kong Ain't Got **** On Me!!!!!'

If I heard correctly, UMass is looking at stepping up to D-I football . . . . . Perhaps they would join the BIG EAST eventually to replace Boston College . . BIG EAST is going to need another Boston based school to keep viewers there interested in the league . . . Only folks in CT care about UCONN

5. UNCCTF

UNCCTF RIP Danielle

The A-10 administers a 1-AA football conference. If anything this move would help us form a football team in that there'd be no pressure to start big. But yeah, I hope the talks cease and desist.

6. VOR

VOR OnlyU CanPreventRelection

fiu is playing d2 ball. hell charlotte would be a natural. They need football on campus larry and beer how anyone can run a fuckin college with no beer is beyond me. The philosopy dept there must really suck.

7. metro

metro Charlotte49erfootballfan

tf,
    I gotta disagree with you there. We NEED at least 1AA football desperately. Let me explain, it does two things. First, it keeps students on campus for the weekend. Students who stay on campus end up bonding with the school, making more friends, and loving it more long term. If we continue to have no football, we will forever will be a commuter school with students going home to mommy and daddy on Fridays, and those students NEVER give anything back monetary-wise, as alum. Second, it gives thousands of alum Saturdays to tail gate and socialize ON CAMPUS. It creates some loyalty, pride, and plain fun for the thousands of alums near by. They in return, will be more likely to donate to the program.

We have the facility. The Belk track is perfect to start a 1AA program. It is easily expandable and ON CAMPUS. The Ericcson and Memorial stadium suggestions are ridiculous.

Answer me this. How much better do you think the students and alum feel toward Coastal Carolina this fall? They have won a couple of games in their innagural season, and the pride has significantly been boosted in their school.

oh yeah, and if this were to ever happen, we need to be in the Southern conference (for football only), not the A10.

8. 49erpi

49erpi Full Access Member

Metro there have got to be more significant reasons than keeping students on campus and providing tailgate parties. After all we are only talking about 5 weekends/ year.
    I doubt that the University cares how many students are hanging around on weekends. This move to the A-10 has set back any future football plans if those plans even existed.

9. UNCCTF

UNCCTF RIP Danielle

Excellent points, Metro. I absolutely agree on the Belk Track scenario - who'd want to play off-campus anyway? Coastal has actually won four or five games this year, and that's now a loaded bandwagon down there in Conway - I'm jealous.

10. coachd

coachd Junior Member

Division I Universities MUST...

play Division I or IAA football. You do not have the option to play Divsion II football if you are Division I in other sports. That's why they call them Division 2 schools.