1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Official Draft at FS other than Collin Branch Thread

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Piper, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Piper

Piper phishin member

On the other hand, getting a guy like Shazor to learn behind both, and if Minter really tanks, well, Shaz, or Davis for that matter, can be the type of SS we need, and if Branch learns to wrap up and do work on what he does well playing Free, that would work out well.

2. ss54

ss54 Full Access Member

I like the flexibility that brings and imediate depth to both positions. I am just worried about Shazor and Davis playing safety. All of these players have outstanding athletic ability, obviously. Shazor is said to be already up to 230 now and people are worried about him getting to be linebacker size. Both Thomas and Davis have questions about cover skills, but there athletic ability is there for that to improve. Both can lay the wood down and I could see them being excellent SS, worried about coverage though.

3. Piper

Piper phishin member

Case in point.

Roy Williams. A man his first two years as a Strong Safety. A hitter, a blitzer, and could cover man for man the Tight End like white on rice, really.

Put him out at Free this year and you rob him of his aggresiveness, and his game went south. He's not a centerfielder.

That's what you do with those guys. Let them be aggressive.

4. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    They have to cover regardless of where they are. Honestly, Davis was a free, but he was still around the line a lot, to the point where he didn't always have the deep ball to pick. Seems like they used him in specifics more.

He's not a free-wheeling ballhawk like Sean Jones was at the position, but I'm not at all worried about his coverage skills, and I've watched him a good bit.

5. ss54

ss54 Full Access Member

He played FS, but his numbers were much better at OLB.

Davis can be a beast at SS, if he wants to learn both positions and we put him out at FS because he has more athletic ability and instincts then Branch and we want to keep Minter on the field, fine. But He has to be our SS of the future because he doesnt have the foot speed to be a top notch FS and would be a lot less effective there. This scenario finds a replacement for Minter, but still leaves Branch as our only true FS.

6. Reznor

Reznor Sunspots

Don't know if this is more appropriate than the dead horse, but what the hell. :rofl:

Attached Files:

7. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

yeah, I got stuff to say on it, but I was gonna let it die.

Still waiting on that bullshit stat, though.

8. ss54

ss54 Full Access Member

I am mainly talking about Davis inability to play FS. Or we could force a player at a position and get less results from a talented player.

9. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

I wasn't responding to it. I disagree on it, but I was going to let it die.

I was also going to let you ride on the statistic thing you "quoted", but I'm always willing to bring it back up.