1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Official Draft at FS other than Collin Branch Thread

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Piper, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Piper

Piper phishin member

1 Thomas Davis. georgia

First round grade. Was more productive as a college OLB, frankly. Not my favorite here, because he's more of a hitter than a cover guy. A bit high for his type of player. Plus, he's inexperienced. And some think he's more of a Strong Safety.

2. Brandon Brownder. Oregon.

Surpise 3rd year softmore declared early for the draft. Played corner in college, but some suggest he's better served as a Safety. Can cover, can tackle, has size and speed. Some have him rated top 15, but he's raw and teams not everyone is sure what position he'd play. Would consider him should he fall to round 2.

3. Ernext Shaznor. Michigan

Could go in the first, may fall to the second and I'd consider him thier. Big hitter. Great speed, big size, OLB with DB speed. A bit raw, but a playmaker.

4. Brodney Pool Oklahoma

Didn't have the best day vs Leinhart, but this Jr. has been very productive in his career. A willing run defender but not a big hitter. Good coverage insticts and change of direction, good but not great speed. Can go up and knock down the jump ball.

5. James Butler Ga Tech

big, strong, smart Free Safety. Good straight line speed. Good tackler. Struggles in one on one coverage though.

Sleeper.....

Ronald Bartell Howard

Small school prospect, scouts say he physically has the size and speed you want. Someone to keep an eye on.

2. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Think Shazor will fit at FS? Granted, in this scheme, it's just the difference in responsibility.

I'm not that familiar with the guy from Oregon, honestly, at least where he fits in the whole ranking scheme, and whether he'll go to corner or safety. I'd love to have that problem, though, and I'd be fine with him here that's for damn sure. Much as I like Manning, if he played inside on passing downs, that's just as well.

I'm really intrigued by a guy like Vincent Fuller, too. He seems to have it all, and the experience, just not all at one position.

3. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

They all sound like upgrades to me.:banana:

A guy who is more of a SS, a cornerback, a linebacker, a guy who played poorly against an NFL offense, a guy that struggles in one on one coverage, and a small school prospect.

I don't think Branch shouldn't have competition, but I would much rather do it through free agency then pick form one of these guys who would need significant development time.

4. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

Shazor? never heard of him...

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Oh, and coincidentally, the FA class at safety is ten times weaker than last year's. Nice catch-22, I'll give you that.

They're all big upgrades.

6. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

this is true.
    He looked badass when I watched him. If somebody can get him in the right position and get him playing like that in the pros, he'll be one of those guys that the analysts can't shut up about.

The guy could play about 8 positions in a Buddy Ryan D.

7. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

I guess that's because Deon Grant isn't a FA this year. Not having the world's best saftey kinda weighs the whole thing down a bit.

No, they aren't upgrades. You can't call a player who hasen't even gotten a hold of the FS position in college an upgrade to a guy who played a full NFL season at that position.

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Ahh, the Grant argument. After all, it's obviously more important to defend Colin Branch by not talking about him. Or by just beating it to death in every way possible.

And then saying that all these guys who are only ~50-75 draft spots higher rated than Branch himself aren't upgrades.

9. UNCdubya

UNCdubya Full Access Member

They all sound like a reach to me.

10. Piper

Piper phishin member

>>They all sound like a reach to me.

If you mean in the first round, maybe. But only Davis is a consensous first rounder, and I'm not all that sold on him as a personal preference. Some have suggested Shaznor and Browdner go in the first round, but that's far from certain.

We will almost certainly spend a pick somewhere in day one on a defensive back. We lack depth, particuarly at safety. We have Branch, an aging Minter, and nothing else of consequence after that.