1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Oakland

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by magnus, Jan 6, 2007.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    the dregs.

What would you do with this franchise? Let's say you had control. You can hire a GM, a coach, his staff, whatever. You have that pick. Right now, hardly anyone's been hired, so the league's wide open.

Gotta figure out what to do with that line, how to keep Moss/Porter happy, and so on.

And then there's that #1 choice:

http://www.gbnreport.com/2007top100.html

1)
    33)
    65)
    97)

2. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

Didn't we play this game last year? The Raiders really suck.

:bdent:

Maybe taking Joe Thomas would help sure up the o-line, but the whole PR mess that comes with the 1st round pick would probably keep that from happening. Plus, Davis allegedly loves Russell, and he's better than Quinn or any Raider QB. If Kenny Irons is still around at 33, that might not be bad.

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

With Houston, I think.

Who'd you hire? and QB?

I'd have to see about a college guy like Pat Hill with Ryan, or Ryan with a guy like Fassell. Cam Cameron's turned him down.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  4. Piper

Piper phishin member

They have done the franchise LT thing. Granted, he's not lived to the hype, but don't be the Lions.

1. Jamarcus Russel. He's got that kind of raw talent. Arm from hell, size, skill. Just needs to be quicker. Make the pick for down the road.

33) Arron Sears OT 6-6, 330 Tennessee

Highly underrated. Strong, powerful, very good athlete.

65) Aaron Rouse SS 6-3, 220 Virginia Tech

Starkplug for the bench.

5. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

Fassell might work. I think he deserves another shot, and Oakland needs a real offensive mind on that team. Whisenhunt turned them down last year, so I can't imagine him changing his mind with more attractive options out there.

Walter sucks. Brooks is better by comparison, but they should probably look for a better vet QB to help Russell along.

6. Wise One

Wise One No Doubt

Oakland Sucks. They will continue to suck as long as weird Al has anything to do with the franchise. They actually need so much that trading down is a possibility. Moss is gone too.

7. chipshot

chipshot Full Access Member

A possibillity? It's pretty much always the best bet IMOFO

8. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

Would have been a good bet for Houston last year.

9. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

at least there'd be a reason to say they passed on Bush other than money.

Oakland could do well to trade down, sure. They're not in need of any one specific thing - they're in need of tons. They could use the tackle, but Piper's right, I don't know that piling on and getting topheavy will cure all ills (they really do need to get the fuck on that in some form, though). You could make an argument for QB, and I'm sure whichever coach comes in will do so, but I don't believe any of the guys out there are #1 overall guys. I do believe Russell might be the best fit.

10. Collin

Collin soap and water

Oakland is actually not that far off from being a strong team, as their defense ranked 3rd in the NFL and has a number of emerging young players. They also have offensive talent, they just need a good QB and a coaching staff that wasn't pulled out of the nursing home. There's no reason their offensive line can't be good in both phases, so I'd figure out what's the problem there and make the appropriate adjustments. Then I'd sign a veteran QB who can make some plays and convert third downs but will mostly just avoid turnovers. And I'd actually keep both Moss and Porter since you're not going to get enough for them, and I'd try to find a way to motivate both players.

In the draft, Russell looks like the best fit at QB because of his arm and readiness to play. It's scary how much he resembles Culpepper, so he'll always have a problem with turnovers at the NFL level too, but he's still a good fit there. I'd at least be tempted to get a veteran starter, though, then trade down and select Alan Branch to solidify that young defense. If they did that and got a decent coaching staff, I think they could actually make the playoffs next season. Then again, they could go Adrian Peterson and really get that running game going.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007