1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Nick Goings

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by QC REPRESENT, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Coach Micool

Coach Micool Let's Go Brandon!

Basically from starter to 2nd to 3rd to 2nd to starter on our team alone.

'Journeyman'

1. One who has fully served an apprenticeship in a trade or craft and is a qualified worker in another's employ.
    2. An experienced and competent but undistinguished worker.

I think the journeyman reference is more of a description of a veteran backup who holds his own yet stays in the wings until he's called upon moreso than the fact they have 'journeyed' anywhere. However I see how you might think that because most of the touted 'journeymen' in football do tend to go thru a few teams till they find a home because they have a tendency to be replaced do to better talent influx.

2. HardHarry

HardHarry Rebel with a 401(k)

:p Chip, you know that term long ago lost the well traveled meaning and was replaced by middle/backup experience. But just for you, I'll admit that technically it's incorrect.

Did that make your day?

3. Coach Micool

no, actually it is not. See above.

4. chipshot

chipshot Full Access Member

Journeyman means Journeyman, backup means backup.

5. Collin

Collin soap and water

How about using yeoman instead? That's an underutilized descriptive term.

6. HardHarry

HardHarry Rebel with a 401(k)

4.3ypc

And more importantly, it's his stretch runs that distinguish him from Nick's 3.8 average. Essentially, they're very similar backs (production wise), except Foster periodically breaks off a long one.

I don't see where anyone in this thread has called him great. In fact, the exact words I used were "very good", and I chose them carefully, because he's very good, but definitely NOT great.

But this isn't a referendum on Foster, beyond the tangential point that our offense is potentially affected by losing a home run threat. Someone said that there wasn't much of a falloff from Foster to Goings, which I think is dishonest. There is. But maybe I can buy in that Seattle's defense wont change how they play us just because Goings is starting, because he does a similar job grinding out yardage.

What I do think though is that Seattle, if they have the capacity, will completely lock down on Smith, and dare us to beat them with guys like Carter & Goings, who simply do not have big game experience.

7. Coach Micool

Why don't you acually look up the definition of the word, Chip.

The term has been arround since before the game of football was called the NFL.

It's still used in reference to trade workers.

Do you fukers think it's a freakin term only related to football? Or that it always means you 'journey'? No it doesn't. Players were referred to as journeymen before free agency and to players that didn't necessarily literally 'journey' from one team to another.

An experienced and competent but undistinguished worker.

8. Coach Micool

I'll admit that technically it's incorrect.

That's what I was refering to, Harry. Chips been trying to, incorrectly, point out that somehow all those calling Goings a 'journeyman' is not the correct term or something. More than once in more than one thread.

I just thought that, finally, I might point him towards the real meaning of the term.

9. Coach Micool

I have to agree here. Altho, I don't think they can lock down both smitty and carter without Proehl, Carter or Colbert not making some plays as well.

My greatest fear, tho, is truly the depth issue, where if Goings get hurt sometime along the way, even if not sever, that we have little depth to back him up/ replace him. If we somhow manage to win, yet get beat up again at RB, we could very well be going to the the big dance with no RB/depth whatsoever worth a shit.

10. chipshot

chipshot Full Access Member

I just like to see everyone get uptight and defensive.