1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Nick Goings

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by QC REPRESENT, Jan 15, 2006.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I'd as well build the run off the pass as the other way around, so if teams want to put an excessive amount of pressure on Smith, I'll take it. It's overdue, really, I expected it in Chicago and never saw it the way I figured.
    Even if Colbert or Carter couldn't come up with big plays, we still have enough talent to run well enough and spread the ball.

2. Black&Blue

Black&Blue NKW

Goings can be more elusive than we think, and probably more reliable than Foster (even though there's no real way to prove that).

That's nothing new.

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Goings will also get us a good yard or two extra in theory, since he'll bull rather than get knocked on his ass.

4. HAVEPSL

HAVEPSL Full Access Member

5. Fan. Attic

Fan. Attic Upstairs Lurker

Well, he did have that 57 yard touchdown run in '04...

6. HardHarry

HardHarry Rebel with a 401(k)

He got knocked on his ass several times in the Bears game.

I've got nothing against him, in fact, I like him a lot, but our running game took more than just a blow to its depth when Foster went down.

I don't understand how we can be contemplating possibly paying Foster big money one day, then suddenly say he's not really any better than a dependable journeyman backup like Nick. Which is it folks?

I suspect I know this answer - Foster is a very good production back with home run potential, but is limited by the injury bug. He is, quite simply, better than Goings (and its not close). Goings can reproduce Foster's grind it out yards, but cant make those special plays that turn ball games.

7. Collin

Collin soap and water

It's what I've said all along, unsurprisingly. And while I agree with you that Foster is more talented than Goings, Foster isn't really a home run threat either. As we noted, he was pretty slow on that 70 yard run and almost got walked down by a linebacker. Atlanta was just sucked in on that play and the safeties took horrid angles. Moreover, I doubt that Foster will ever give high production on a consistent basis. The four best games of his career were against a terrible Chiefs defense, twice against a terrible Falcons defense, and then against an injury-depleted Giants defense. It's not like Foster gets 4.5 ypc against everyone and is only limited by injury. He's not a great back either.

8. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

I think the thing we lose is depth - and that's key. For those 20 or so caries Nick got the last few games, those goto Jamal. Goings may not be a tremendouse drop off, but Jamal is.

That's upwards of 10 touches with a dropoff.....

Seattle is good against the run but gives up the pass.....

They've been as good against the run as we have - but they also play in a weak division for runners.

I like the screens to Drew Carter. I think that's helped get Smitty open, and open the run.

9. chipshot

chipshot Full Access Member

Where else has he journeyed to?

10. Gen Scope

Gen Scope Marginal

Foster = Timmy II
    Nick = Lamar Smith???, Anthony Johnson???, or from another position Trent Dilfer???, Brad Johnson???