1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Minute Maid Park...someone explain this

Discussion in 'MLB - Baseball Forum' started by RSgal, Jul 2, 2003.

1. RSgal

RSgal Cute pup

The hill with the flagpole in center field is ridiculous enough as it is. But why is it not a home run when the ball hits the pole about 20 feet from the ground? Richie Sexson wasn't please...and I don't blame him.

2. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

It is a throwback to the way that old parks used to be. The monuments in Yankee Stadium were in play at one time, and I think that the old Colt 45's stadium used to have a bank and flags in it - that is why they chose that for Houston.

Richie Sexson should relax - he knew the rules before he started the game, so don't bitch about it after one of them comes back to bite you in the ass. I hate when people do that shit. I mean I REALLY FUCKING HATE IT!

3. two-six

two-six yes, i carved this

Re: Re: Minute Maid Park...someone explain this

ahh, it makes sense now. and to think, i thought they put it there just to blow out knees and achilles tendons

4. RSgal

RSgal Cute pup

Re: Re: Minute Maid Park...someone explain this

Well that explains it! Thanks vp.

I still think it's a gay ass design, but at least now I know it wasn't completely random.

5. law1ng2b

law1ng2b Full Access Member

depends on the way the club writes the park's ground rules too. for example, Bank One in PHX has some portions of the fence that look to be in play, but if it hits them it is a homerun. The Metrodome's ceiling speakers are in play...a ball that hits them can fall into fair terrirory. But if you hit the walkway scaffolding at Tropicana Field, it is a homerun no matter where it lands.

i don't mind it...i think it adds some character to the parks. otherwise, they should make every ballpark exactly the same.

6. uncc86

uncc86 Full Access Member

you mean you didn't care for the early 70's baseball played in Three Rivers, Riverfront, the Vet, Fulton County and Busch Stadiums????:laugher: :laugher: :laugher:

I have to agree with you about the character aspect to each park. Its always been part of the game.

The incline in CF of Enron Field (sorry, I'm old school) is a copy of what used to exist in Crosley Field in Cincinnati.

Old Tiger Stadium in Detroit had a flag pole in CF (of course it was 440 feet from home) and once or twice a season it came into play. The teams knew it could happen and just dealt with it. Also, there was an overhang in RF. In other words, the lower level of RF was 325 feet away while the upper level was 310-315 feet (depending on who you talked to).

The outfield wall in Arizona is weird....even the Dback announcers seem confused when the querks of the wall come into play.

Outfield walls and things physically attached to the field are one thing but stadium ceilings being in or out of play are worthy of debate and criticism...............this is an outdoor game and SHOULD be played outdoors.

7. Yuck

Yuck Sweet Pea

character's cool, but it does make it seem like pinball.

8. T_Schroll

T_Schroll Full Access Member

The monuments in Yankee Stadium used to be in play. That had to be the deepest centerfield ever.

9. uncc86

uncc86 Full Access Member

http://www.baseball-statistics.com/Ballparks/SF/Polo.htm

After the Polo Grounds closed, Yankee Stadium (with the monuments in play) was the deepest CF.

When they redid the park (mid-70's ??), the old stadium in Motown took over.

These days...........its hard to tell.........parks change too often.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2003
  10. T_Schroll

T_Schroll Full Access Member

the four worst things that ever happened to baseball

1. Astroturf-inflated stats and killed a lot of careers with injuries

2.cookie cutter stadiums from the '70's-eliminated character from the ballyard

3.the DH-made strategy secondary,prolonged too many careers that should have been over, and helped drive up salaries for hasbeens and never was ballplayers

4.Domed stadiums-the only sports that should be played indoors are basketball and hockey.