1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Making the push

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Purrsy, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Malapoo

Malapoo Full Access Member

Is it possible that our coaches don't see a need to work with Cam's mechanics? I mean has anyone come out and said it's a problem we're addressing but Cam's not serious about it? Or are people assuming since "we" see it as a problem that needs fixing, the coaches must too? I'm not arguing, just asking maybe those who should fix his problems don't see them as a big deal?

I am not so much on the Cam ego bit - he has one, absolutely, but is he worse then Smitty or a large percentage of "star players"? I mean Smitty is constantly trash talking when a camera gets near him after a big play. Part of being successful is self confidence which is hand in hand with ego.

I just feel there is a change in Cam's attitude this year - that he finally realized he was being immature, and he's growing into a team guy. I mean he meets a veteran who lost both legs and he cried and felt humbled and has kept in contact with the guy including seeing him again after he got legs. He really enjoys the work he does with kids and I get that from several adults who have been there first hand at schools and other activities.

2. PaulPaladin

PaulPaladin Full Access Member

Hope getting Hartsock back gives us a little better blocking on the edge and in power sets.

And on Cam, if this is as good as he gets, that's ok. Not great, but we can win 9/12....

3. Collin

Collin soap and water

It's possible, but in that case the coaches are incompetent instead of just negligent.

Yes. Much, much, much worse precisely because Cam's egotism is about fame and adulation. Steve wants respect and recognition, but he doesn't mug for the cameras or seek attention off the field. Newton wants to be an "entertainer and icon," as he's said many times. iPhone on a safari? That's so obnoxiously stupid that it sounds like something from a Key & Peele sketch. It's hard to believe that Cam actually said those things.

lolno. The only difference is that the team is winning, so Cam is getting media praise instead of criticism.

4. Kevin Costner

Kevin Costner Senior Member

Last year about 90% of ESPN's airtime was devoted to how great of a leader and teammate RG3 is. Now he's suddenly a selfish diva. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

Even if Cam really has matured, that has nothing to do with our defense making the transition from good to excellent.

5. Ted Striker

Ted Striker ... over Macho Grande

And you know this because you've met him or know him personally? Get a fucking clue statfag.

Youre an idiot. So, no other QB has this type of personality? Brees demands an answer. Namath was like that. Theisman was egocentric. Bradshaw was/is an attention whore.

Deion Sanders mugged big time for the cameras. Irvin had his playmaker persona. Theres nothing wrong with aspiring to be famous. What, are you jealous of Cam? Lol

6. Collin

Collin soap and water

I'm not sure Cam even likes football. It may only be a vehicle to the accoutrements he does enjoy.

7. warmachine

warmachine Full Access Member

is there documentation on Cam saying "entertainer and icon" more than the once?

8. Collin

Collin soap and water

Fair enough, I should have worded that "indicated" instead of "said." Cam's behavior suggests that it has always been and continues to be his focus.

9. warmachine

warmachine Full Access Member

I disagree (can't remember the last time he's mentioned fame), but then I also disagree about him always being a one read guy or that his mechanics are always bad. He has some inconsistencies but he didn't go through the end of last year throwing 4 INT in 9 games being unable to read a D.

10. Malapoo

Malapoo Full Access Member

As far as who Cam is inside, it's all speculation for any of us unless anyone here knows Cam very well personally. I feel he has improved his attitude, and my perception from watching interaction on and off the field at games I attend, is that his teammates appear to agree.

I haven't seen any game ignoring camera mugging this year - maybe if a camera is on him a quick gesture or something, but I see MANY other players on many teams (Panthers too) do the same. Even limiting it to games I attend, since judging anyone's behavior based on what only tv shows you is unfair, Cam is looking at the photos, talking to coaches and teammates especially after a "bad series" - I see a football player who cares. Perfect, heck no, but not the Cam of the first years at all. Missed connections with a WR - I see him talking with that WR and you can tell by hand gestures they're saying what each was thinking as far as pattern to run or throw to.

There has definitely been a change in the relationship Cam has with his teammates. Would I like him to be consistent with mechanics and improve on reads? Sure, but I think due to so many school and coaching changes in his school years, we're dealing with a pretty raw QB. One who had bad habits that no one really had time to fix. Fixing what have become "physical habits or instincts" isn't all that easy to do. Right handed? Try using your left more. Chew on the right side of your mouth? Switch. Can be done, but see how many times you just instinctively shift back to what is normal for you.

Not trying to be an apologist for Cam, I DO see his flaws, but I think he is definitely working on himself at least emotionally/mentally and deserves some credit for it.