1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Living and dying by your guy

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by meatpile, Jan 11, 2009.

1. lde

lde Teddy and Gabriel

Carr's main problem was his horrible character and leadership. He had the same in Houston. He was aloof from the team, spent most of his time publicly ripping his former team, and missed player called meetings to resolve O problems. What you said is true, but Carr didnt even try.

2. Collin

Collin soap and water

Magnus was the one who hyped Jeff Lewis. I didn't really know anything about him before Seifert traded for him, I just reported that he looked good in training camp that season, and he did. Then with Carr, I never suggested that he was a great quarterback, I was just fighting the impression that he was the problem last season. For instance, he never had a game as bad as Jake had last night or against Oakland. I did miss on Smith (and LaDainian Tomlinson, among others), but in seven years I have almost never been wrong about a quarterback. My record speaks for itself. Clearly I do know, as has been proven over time beyond the shadow of any doubt. Some people just want to believe that I might be wrong, but eventually they usually realize that I wasn't.

3. Collin

Collin soap and water

He was also terrible in the NFCCG against Seattle, and has only two career playoff games with more than one passing touchdown. As I noted in the other thread, he now has the same number of playoff turnovers as playoff touchdowns.

Jake was sacked only twice and almost all of his interceptions came with the pocket still intact. For whatever reason you seem interested in making excuses for Delhomme, but saying things like this just makes it seem like you didn't even watch the game.
    No, it really wasn't. Marshall is the only other player who I'd say had a truly bad game. Not many played well, but Delhomme, Marshall, and the coaches were the only ones truly awful.

We're getting off on a separate subject, but the media and fan hate towards Brett Favre is beyond stupid. The guy has won more games than any quarterback in history, and those Green Bay teams were rarely (if ever) the most talented team in the league.

Fitzgerald was wide open because we played the same Cover 3 defense we have throughout Fox's tenure. We don't change gameplans very often on offense or defense. That's not always a bad thing, but Arizona exploited our predictability extremely well. And stop with the JDR talk. We gave up 0.3 more yards per game this season than Jacksonville. Fans liked the fact that JDR jumped up and down on the sidelines because fans are dumb and believe that teams will based on passion, but the defensive philosophy we had in 2003 is the same one we still have now.

Delhomme has had two playoff games with more than one passing touchdown and two playoff games with three or more interceptions. He has the same total number of playoff turnovers as playoff touchdowns.

4. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home

I don't think they will either. It really fucking sucks he was this bad last night, he let the team down. Doesn't matter how the rest of the team did, because he kept them from having a chance at a win regardless of how they played. People want to downplay how important he is to this team, but there's no doubt to me. And this, for whatever reason, is what we get when he's this bad. It really happens less often than some want to suggest, but this was really fucking awful and there's no good reason for it. His arm seemed fine, he just forced it, over and over again.

if we can do better, I say we do. This really hasn't changed, though, for me. I like what he brings most of the time, and it's not like him to choke on it, but this was critically bad, too. Younger, cheaper, but as good? I don't see it happening, but it could push them to get something better as a backup. But, drafting a guy in the second isn't a catch-all response or solution, and we need other things now more than we need a QB in two years.

Unless they see someone and dump Jake for him, I don't believe they'll do it. The most talented guy likely out there for cheap trade is Leinart, and that's like going from heart to stone.

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

the bye week issue is very interesting, but while it's been on my mind for the last day, it's not useful until there's a reason why. That reason would likely have bearing on what we do.

6. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

yeah, Carr is relatively indefensible. We had other problems, but nothing we had to bench so the home team wouldn't boo. Those other problems gave a shit, and tried. Those are minimum things you can do, and he didn't.

Since I'm reading this as I go, the Lewis thing was mostly defense, because he got a ton of attack from Craig fans. For the most part, he did look good in 1999 and 2000 preseasons, though he dumped off for the most part in 2000 and should've looked more comfortable as a first stringer when Beuerlein decided to wait on surgery and ended up missing preseason (which is rarely that good a sign). I don't know at what point Collin dropped him, but I unfortunately waited until he completely melted down to do so.

I also don't know that arguing quarterbacks with Sandy really should count as a legacy of opinion for anyone.

7. Collin

Collin soap and water

No, you hyped him quite a bit. But he did look legitimately good on the practice field, so I can't blame you too much on that. The problem isn't Lewis, though, it's that you've been consistently wrong about quarterbacks. Clearly you're wrong about Jake too.

8. 49erpi

49erpi Full Access Member

He has also thrown more interceptions than any QB in history. Both those stats come with longevity and neither are an accurate summary of his career on their own.

9. Golden Hammer

Golden Hammer South Pole Elf

What we need to do, and should have done already, is planned for Jake's eventual replacement and bring in someone with great mechanics who can understudy with Jake and learn the things Jake brings (leadership, etc.) under Jake. Imagine Jake's "heart and desire" with great mechanics and ability to move and and be a great passer. That's a HOF guy.

10. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

I'm with you. Who's that guy? Is he on the roster now?