1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Living and dying by your guy

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by meatpile, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Powerbait

Powerbait Jawbreaker

Wasn't that the mall cop in Mallrats?

2. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

I probably disagree with you because it's more fun.

Plus, I first started posting / reading your posts around the time of Jeff Lewis. Mags was right there with you, too. I'd say that permanently jaded my reaction to player evaluations on a message board, by anybody. You can put smitty on that list, too. And the David Carr thing.

It's not that I disagree, it's that I don't think you really know. I agree that you think you know, and that's fun.

Agree on Fox and Hurney.

The thing reminds me alot of Dungy and the Bucs, without Kiffin. That said, I wouldn't want to emulate the Bucs post Dungy.

3. kickazzz2000

kickazzz2000 CURRENTLY ON THE CAN

A ring plus on and off suck vs consistent playoff apperances but no ring....

4. PaulPaladin

PaulPaladin Full Access Member

Before last nite, Jake was 5-2 in playoff games, and had the third highest post season passer rating of all time behind Joe Montana and some guy from back in the day. So to say he sucks in big games is flat out wrong.

He sucked in last night's big game, but that's one game.

Do I think Jake is great? No. I think he's OK. I think he forces alot of passes, and because we have a great WR in Smitty, he gets away with it alot. His gunslinger mentality has won more games for us than it's lost.

But I also think it's time to start thinking about life after Jake. Not next year, but the guys 34, he's not getting any better and we need some real competition at the position.

5. Savio

Savio Freelance Pimp

He locked down on his receivers too much last night and I cringed every time he threw it, it was a possible interception. I kept on watching just to see how many INTs he would throw. It was almost 6...

6. PaulPaladin

FWIW, he had very little time to get set and throw last night. The Cards bought pressure on every play and our OL didn't do a good job keeping him clean.

That's how you beat us. Pressure our D, clog the holes with LB's and S's in the run game, and if it's a pass get all over Jake before he can check down. Roll the coverage over to Smith and force Jake to make bad decisions.

No one has assigned any blame to the OL on the board yet, and they deserve their fair share. This was a total team fuck up.

7. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Son of Anarchy

Attached Files:

8. tj21

tj21 Moderator

PaulPaladin,,, with all respect, but for anyone to say Jake was 5-2 (now 5-3) in playoff games is giving him ALL THE CREDIT and ignoring the fact that we have had much more talent on this team in recent years. Smitty is not our only great player, there were numerous players who had career years when we went to the Super Bowl, and numerous players had great years this year too.

I think everyone agrees Jake is not an allstar, but what frustates many is the feeling that Fox simply WILL NOT try to get better at that position.

Btw, I agree with your last comment that there were others who didn't play well last night, it wasn't on Jake alone.

9. PaulPaladin

So you are admitting he's won over 2/3'rds of his playoff games with team lacking superior talent? Hell yeah, I'm pissed at how he played. But he's typically stepped up in pressure situations vs. a Tony Romo who plays great in September/October and falls apart down the stretch.

Brett Favre still holds the record for INT's in an NFL playoff game.

10. Powerbait

Powerbait Jawbreaker

Brett Favre is also one of the most overrated QBs of all time.