1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Living and dying by your guy

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by meatpile, Jan 11, 2009.

1. stratocatter

stratocatter Full Access Member

The way things are setting up, we appear to be stuck with him. The only source of hope to me, and it is a small hope, is the possibility that his accuracy will improve as he gets further past the surgery.

2. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    he'd been slow to pull the trigger at times this year, moreso than in the past. Not 100% sure why it's happened as much as it has - on a number of plays he'd made, he held the ball what I felt was too long. He'd wait, wait, and then he'd see the right time to get it out. A little dangerous, certainly. The MN fumble and the opening turnover against AZ were both him holding it too long.

the INTs, in a number of situations, were IMO more clearly him pressing to make something happen than anything else. There's no doubt he needs to throw it away more. Not as much as, say Rivers, who at times just eats it if things aren't perfect (it's really hard to argue with the results and his efficiency and QB rating were still very high), but he didn't do much of that this year.

I see him go through progressions and come back to Smith plenty. I saw him go through progressions Saturday. I don't think it's a lack of seeing things as they are. He can miss the guy coming across sometimes, and doesn't look people away from the ball, though. We need more pump fakes, combo routes, for that and to create more deep.

3. Collin

Collin soap and water

My dad made a good point about Arizona disguising their coverages. In that eight man front they weren't often blitzing a lot of people, they would instead drop the back into various zones and often roll a safety over the top to help on Smith. He said that it seems like Jake always relies very heavily on his pre-snap read, and that the Cardinals being deceptive about their drops thoroughly confused him. It makes sense and would help explain why he made some of those idiotic throws.

strat:
    His accuracy wasn't that great before surgery. Really, we're ok and have a chance to win as long as Jake doesn't fuck up and throw it right to the other team. He's not good enough to make many plays anymore, but we can live without that against most opponents.

Riddel:
    Jay Fiedler won 62% of his starts (and 68% before a bad final season in '04). Stop humiliating yourself by pretending that winning percentage is all up to the quarterback.

4. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Full Access Member

Winner is a winner. It's called leadership and Jake is a great leader.

5. Powerbait

Powerbait Jawbreaker

Miami also struggled when Fiedler was injured. He wasn't a great QB by any means, but he won games by not making mistakes. I remember when Miami was on pace for a #1 seed before he got injured and then failed to make the playoffs.

6. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Full Access Member

Sounds like the Panther's 07 season.

7. Collin

Collin soap and water

Why do people persistently forget that we got blown out at home by Houston before Jake got hurt, especially when I bring it up every time someone talks about 2007?